Laminate Floor Recommendations ?

Hello Folks. I'm considerig installing Laminate Floor. Any advice / recommendations for brands, types available in the Great White North ?

Thanks.

-JS

Reply to
john

Too many variables, how much do you want to spend and what do you like? Why plastic?

Reply to
MSH

I just purchased Formica Cermanix (tile look). It is wearing great and looks beautiful but it was a bitch to install. The locking mechanism is so precise that any variation is a problem. In the end, I had to hire out the installation, and floor guy went back to his store and threw out the rack.

Mannington, others are a breeze to install according to him. If I were to do it again, I would pick a brand other than Formica.

Reply to
BKS

We just had the Mannington non-glued installed. It looks nice. Within a day an electrician dropped a ceiling fan globe from about 8 feet on it and dented it slightly. Fortunately the installers were back to fix some molding issues I was unhappy with and they replaced the damaged panel. For a pro it took no time at all. The the pre-finished molding is very difficult to install well unless the house is very square. Probably better off with wood molding and finish it yourself or paint to match walls.

Reply to
Art Begun

Hmmm... that's a surprise to read about!

I laid out a family room and kitchen with the Ceramix Collection flooring a few months back and had no problems at all with the install. The "click-down" went just as easily as the old-fashioned T&G glue-down Pergo I installed in other rooms a few years back.

Bu then, I wonder if the configuration of the ploanks might have something to do with the difficulties you had. My Monsanto Ceramix was purchased at Lowes -- the planks are laid out in a "1x4" format. I've seen the same product at other flooring chains, but the planks are configured in a "2x2" format. (I suppose that large square of flooring clould be a bit rough to handle.)

--Steve

Sherry

I installed a Pergo floor in our kitchen maybe 5 years ago and it still looks great. We are contemplating installing laminate throughout the entire house because it is so much more durable than hard-wood (it doesn't dent and need sanding) but I'm not certain that it's the look I want.

The new stuff is soooo realistic it has me hankering for real wood - I don't know why...

The Pergo I installed was the glue joint stuff and our Kitchen is fairly small - maybe 200 square feet - so it was not too tough for me to do in a weekend. (A real knee buster, though!)

I understand that the "wear layer" dimensions vary greatly from brand to brand. I think that the Mannington high end stuff has a 25+ mil wear layer - others go from 7 - 15 mils. (1 mil = 1000th of an inch.)

Our experience with Pergo is that the stuff is really tough. I did chip one panel when I dropped a drawer full of silverware on it (on a corner of the drawer, no less. I had to rebuild the drawer - it fell apart!!) I have never repaired or replaced the panel and no one has commented about the chip. It is pretty stealthy stuff.

I'd like to hear other opinions about laminate floors. Any takers?

Larry Davick

Reply to
Larry Davick

You did buy knee pads didn'y you? Found them to be a good investment when I installed my floor. I have both laminate and engineered wood. I still prefer the wood. My laminate is about 6 years old and I can tell it is not wood. Perhaps the new stuff is better, but with the wood, some random lengths and greater variation of grain in natural wood looks better. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I want to redo the floor in my famly room, front hall, and kitchen. I have 3/4' maple down in the hall but I don't want to keep it down. I am trying to decide whether to put laminate (glue or glueless) or wood. I have heard that the laminate can be affected by water i.e. curling at the edges. Is this true? Any suggestions. What I want is a floor that is as durable as possible.

-- Take out the trash to reply

Reply to
Ultraglide

Check the warranties. Mannington says theirs holds up to household water (but not a flood disaster) and guarantees it with labor if it was professionally installed. Others say they hold up but read the warranties..... you have to clean up the water within 30 minutes or there is none.... so make sure you check before buying.

I was concerned about the no-glue floor. But I called Mannington and they said the click floors are more water resistent then the old glue floors which depended on good glueing for water resisitence.

investment when I

wood. My

Perhaps the

trying to decide