Laminate floor installation

Greetings,

I'll be installing a laminate floor over a concrete slab. The installation instructions specify that the subfloor must be level to within 2mm (they don't specify over what gap though).

I just spent some time trying to determine how flat my concrete slab is by placing a piece of string really taut and then measuring the gap between the string and the floor.

On the worst spots, the gap was a little over 2mm, perhaps 2.5mm.

Do I need to worry about this? How much is "too much"? I'm wondering if I'd make things worse by trying to fix these depressions (just a couple of spots in a 15' x 20' room).

Thanks.

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

That's their 'out', if you have a problem. 2 MM is 0.0787 of an inch, or about 5/64". Find a floor in any house that is that level.

Reply to
willshak

If there is too much gap the planks could seperate where they snap together or become loose as time causes them to wear from movement.

I had a similar problem over vinyl and in a few spots where the traffic was low I doubled up the foam pad under those spots.

So far so good.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

From my experience, no.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi; Your floor needs to be level. So what does this mean? Take a single board, lay it across the suspect area's (make sure you put the underpad down also) and check for bounce/deflection. if there is very little if any at all, start installing. If you use a beter quality of underpad ie; Quietwalk felt, it will take up these little discrepancies. Trying to level the whole floor perfectly is a waste of time, money, effort and resources. Laminate when combined with a good underpad will make up for this. We install 200,000 sq/ft + per year of laminate and our crews use this as a guide for which underpad to use. If there are bad area's you can always use a floor patch cement, available at most lumber stores, it sets in about 35 minutes. Note; Because this is a basement installation, PLEASE make sure you have a vapour barrier installed or a certified underpad that incorporates an underpad. Cheap white foam sheets do not cut it and will void any relevant warranties.

Cheers and Cia

Reply to
kris