Lake County (FL) considers 'trash-cams' at school cafeterias

Wow.

Good thing the US is not currently experiencing a crushing recession and is not trillions of dollars in debt.

Good thing you can afford to install cameras on garbage bins and hire people to watch them so you can know what you already know - that your juvenile delinquent brats are not eating their veggies that your tax dollars are paying for.

Why don't you just have a school program where your brats use their $600 smart phone to take their own picture of what they're throwing away and e-mail the picture to the school board in return for a 25-cent cash credit.

Why is the answer with you people aways -> MORE CAMERAS.

WE NEED MORE CAMERAS.

WE CAN SOLVE ALL OUR PROBLEMS IF WE SURVEIL OURSELVES WITH MORE CAMERAS.

IN THE AIR OVER OUR HOMES, ON FAECEBOOK, IN THE SCHOOLS - MORE CAMERAS.

Lake County considers 'trash-cams' at school cafeterias

Federal law requires veggies on menu, but students toss them

Published On: Oct 02 2012

TAVARES, Fla. -

Lake County School Board officials are considering attaching cameras to school cafeteria trash cans to study what students are tossing after officials found that most of the vegetables on the school menu end up in the trash can.

New federal laws require students to take a healthy produce at lunchtime, but last year in Lake County, students tossed $75,000 worth of produce in the garbage.

"It's a big issue, and it's very hard to get our hands around it," said School Board member Todd Howard, who suggested "trash-cams." "They have to take (the vegetable), and then it ends up in the trash can, and that's a waste of taxpayer money. It's also not giving students the nutrition that they need."

Laurel Walsh, whose daughter attends Tavares Elementary School, says getting kids to eat their fruits and vegetables is not the job of the respective schools. ? "I think it starts at home with the parents. If the kids just don't like it because they've never been given it at home, they're not going to try something new here," she said.

No decisions have been made on the cameras, but school leaders say they wouldn't capture students faces, just what they're throwing away.

Reply to
Alan Funt

What these health nut idiots don=92t understand is=20 there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy food.=20 All food is healthy and good for you.=20 The difference is with some foods=20 you can eat as much as you want and with others=20 you can only eat eat very little of=20 unless you want to get fat and become unhealthy.=20 They find it easier to tell people to not eat some foods=20 rather than telling them to eat less.

Reply to
recyclebinned

So, I can take out the broccoli food group and replace it with Twinkies! Kewl!

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I was six years old, there were certain food I could not eat because those foods made me barf. One of them was coleslaw. One day coleslaw was served in the lunchroom at The Catholic Parochial Gulag my parents had remanded me to and of course I would not eat it. My first grade teacher, Sister Godzilla, dragged me in front of class, squeezed my mouth open and shoved the vile stuff in. Of course I threw up all over the place. At least I wasn't like Joey who said a bad word and was forced to eat Octagon Deodorant Soap in front of class. We were unable to laugh or make a peep while the foam dripped from his chin for we knew we would be next. Funny thing, I eat coleslaw all the time now but I'll bet Joey still doesn't like to eat soap. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

When my son was younger we found (the hard way) that Spaghetti-Os would make him (projectile) barf about two hours after dinner. His "illness" would always come out of nowhere but after a while it sunk in that his barf was always red. Fast-forward to his high school days and scouts. Some moron mother slipped Spaghetti-Os into their meal without telling them (he'd made it clear that he wasn't to eat them). Later that night he became quite unpopular in the tent.

Reply to
krw