Ladders - Werner, Little Giant, Gorilla

I'm looking for one of those multi-purpose ladders. Naturally I've seen The Little Giant on TV, and I know that it was one of the first to come out, but now Home Depot and Lowe's sell this Gorilla Ladder which is very similar, as well as the Werner multi-purpose ladder.

I already own a 26 foot extension ladder which is too big, too heavy, and a much better grade than I ever should have bought and I just can't handle it.

I'm figuring a 21 foot (extends 19 feet) multi-purpose ladder will be great for me (2 story house) in a type 1 or 1A.

Is The Little Giant ladder better than the others to justify it's higher (double) price? Approx $400 (mail order price), vs $200 (local price at Lowes and Home Depot)) for the Werner or Gorilla Ladder.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with any of these ladders?

If The Little Giant is really a better ladder, do you know of a place that sells it at more of a discount, to get the price substantially below that $400 point?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve in New Jersey

Reply to
Steve

A 21 folding will be harder to handle than a 26 regular, check the weight. I used to paint for a living and had 15 ladders or so but never one of the folding ones. I tried them but they were to heavy for carrying around , and a pain in the a to use , non of my many employees ever wanted them also. I suggest you rent one and try it first, I also did not like messing with adjustments. I know Werner is quality. Shop by weight , many companies have 3 grades.

Reply to
m Ransley

I routinely wrestle with a 28 foot Louisville extension ladder, which is a pain but I've found all of those do everything ladders to be awkward to handle as well as heavy

Reply to
RBM

I have used a little Giant but I bought a Gorilla 27'. As everyone has said they are heavy! And a little awkward to carry. For a home owner they are ok, but anyone that uses a ladder every day would not want one. That said, it is the most stable ladder that I have ever used. You can do a jig on the top of it with no wobble, and they store nicely. I did not see a big difference in the LG as opposed to the Gorilla, especially for the price difference.

CR

Reply to
CR

I picked the Werner because it was the only one made in USA, and I can get all the 10% off at Lowes coupons to buy it with anyway.

Reply to
scott21230

I bought a Little Giant #26 specifically for working over stairs. For that purpose it is terrific. However it is heavier than a regular ladder and more awkward to deal with than my 24' fiberglass extension ladder. It also comes in handy for working on high ceilings in the "A" position as mine extends to 11'.

A customer of mine has a Gorilla ladder. Although it looks similar to the Little Giant it is not constructed as well. That might be okay for occasional use.

The best price I found for the Little Giant was online. I don't know of any retailers that sell it.

Reply to
John Grabowski

our gorilla is too heavy but great for the garage door opener repair this summer. we always use the fiberglas extension ladders 14' [also a

28' and 32'] an aluminum 8' stepladder is a lightweight choice as well as the heavier 6' fiberglas stepladder. unless you are an electrician and require fiberglas, compare weight of ladders for your body weight may be ok with aluminum. rent or borrow the 40' for the peak of the house.
Reply to
buffalobill

I bought the Little Giant 1A (10102) about a year ago from Amazon for $316. It replaced two extension ladders and a rickety step ladder. It has worked just fine for inside climbing and the usual outdoor stuff. I deliberately didn't get the larger version so I won't be tempted to go above the 15' length since I should't be doing that at my age anyway.

As others have said, weight is important; so If I were to buy again, I'd get the 35# rather than the 38# version. But even though the Little Giant is a bit heavy, it is very stable, comfortable and easy to manipulate. The quality is apparent. I later bought two work platforms and they work well too.

I looked at similar Gorilla ladders, but it wasn't clear that the locking and adjusting mechanisms were of the same quality as the Little Giant. I knew that I would be frustrated every time I used the ladder if the catches and hinges didn't work right, so I spent the extra money.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

I have a little giant. They are heavy. Quality made but heavy. I am not sure I would buy it again. I bought it at a home improvement show that they have locally twice per year where they are usually discounted.

Reply to
Art

My Little Giant sez "Made in USA" in large letters on the side.

TKM

Reply to
TKM