Lacquer-finished furniture

I may be in the wrong group to be asking this - but I'll give it a try.
I have a really nice bedroom dresser that has an almond colored lacquer finish. I would like to refinish and paint the dresser white.
Has anyone stripped down lacquer-finished furniture? Is it no different than refinishing any other furniture piece? The reason I am concerned is because the lacquer looks very thick and practically indestructible. I hate to get started without having a general idea of what I'm getting into.
Any warnings or suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Flats
I'd rough it up with sandpaper, prime and paint. I think I know the finish you're describing, it looks atrocious.

Are you sure it is lacquer? I've seen furniture with a thick coating of some sort of poly material and that would not be easily removed. If it is lacquer, put a dab of acetone or lacquer thinner in an inconspicuous place. It will dissolve easily if lacquer, not at all of something else.

I agree. Unless the current finish is bubbling or chipping, just sand it lightly and paint right over it. Good luck, Andy
Flats wrote:

stripping it :o)

I spent a couple years refinishing pianos when I was younger.
If the existing finish is indeed lacquer, it comes off easily with ordinary paint stripper. Follow the directions on the can. After getting the majority of the finish off, scrub the wood with coarse steel wool (like a pot scrubber) soaked in lacquer thinner to get all the old finish out of the grain, crevices, etc. Then rinse with cotton rags soaked in clean lacquer thinner. Let dry, sand, fill, prime, repaint. It'll look gorgeous.
Wear heavy-duty rubber gloves and a rubber or vinyl apron. Work outside or in a well-ventilated area away from open flame. Dispose of your waste properly.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /