Lack of cold water plaguing northwest subdivision...

Page 1 of 2
"LAS VEGAS -- Imagine turning on the cold water tap only to find the temperature won't get lower than 90 degrees. One northwest valley subdivision has tried for months to cool down their water, but it's still running warm."
...temps at 90.4ºF...
<http://www.8newsnow.com/story/26076303/lack-of-cold-water-plaguing-northwest-subdivision
Why is it blamed on well water and shallow pipes, if I get the drift on this report?

"Cold" water cruises in the 80s in SW Florida all summer. Where is the surprise? Vegas is a lot hotter than here.

Here, north of Phoenix, our well is 626 feet down, so water is nice cool temp. BUT! comes to the surface and then is stored in an 'above ground' tank ...in the sun. plus 300 ft shallow pipe to house plus pipes run in the attic, albeit in the insulation still in the attic. So...often in the summer's afternoon the cold water all by itself is too hot to shower in. so why am I paying the utilities company more than $30 a month for the hot water heater?!
Actually, I was pleaantly surprised that the very hard water tastes pretty decent and even makes great coffee, compared to the city supplied water, which lines the pot with sludge and makes the coffee taste like a dead fish.
On 7/22/14, 5:11 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

Is that because it is pumped straight out of the CAP canal ??
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:10:05 -0400, Frank

I stopped at Gila Bend, AZ in 1988. My wife thought the motel had put the plumbing in backwards. Wanted a cool shower. Cold water was about 110. Tasted bad enough I wouldn't put it in my radiator. First time I ever bought bottled water. A ranger told me he had a tempering tank in his basement to cool it down a bit. Not much need for a water heater.
On 7/22/2014 5:25 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Reminds me of guy I worked with that bought a house from the same builder I had and pipes to his bathroom were reversed.
When he used the toilet, he got a hot flush ;)
Vic Smith wrote:

Hi, In my working days I went to PHX a lot, often staying for months for new product training in different seasons. Most dwellings there don't have basement. plumbings are often exposed to outside.
Once in dead summer I took whole family down and we stayed at Hometel then for 3 months. we lived by the pool side with free breakfast, cocktails every day. Wife and kids after returning home said no more trip to PHX in summer time, LOL!

Well water but my city water in Sanibel was not much cooler

Doesn't it get pumped up into a water tower to stabilize the pressure?

I'll make you an offer you can't refuse!
Damn, I love this global warming, or whatever the hell the loons are calling it today. It's making me so damn much money I won't be able to spend it all!

sorry, that was San Jose, CA city water. I've not tasted any of the city waters here, except Rio Verde and Scottsdale.
On 7/22/2014 3:29 PM, Oren wrote:

Here in the east, your well pipes could freeze if not buried deep enough. It is no surprise that pipes only buried a couple of inches in the hot climate of Vegas would heat the water. Stupid contractors should have known this.
Frank wrote:

Hi, As years go by, more and more I think we're living in heaven almost!
On 7/22/2014 4:10 PM, Frank wrote:

Is it cooler, farther down?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/22/2014 7:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Should be. I understand you reach a level where temperature is constant, summer and winter. With geothermal you can use it to heat or cool your house as needed.
As you know, in areas where it freezes building codes will give minimum depths for water and sewer pipes. Here is is three feet and Tony says where he is in Canada it is 8 feet. In Vegas couple of inches is OK. My brother-in-law lives out there and I have never heard about water being too hot so I assume his developer knew what he was doing to bury pipes deep enough.
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 15:56:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What gets me is that they think a new house will be beter than an old house. A lot of people just assume new is better.
Back in Brooklyn, I fixed things for money, and I was at a girl's dorm room and she was complaining about the picture on her 12" tv. I said that you live in a steel frame building, get a wire and connect it to the antenna screws (and I showed her where they were) and put the other end out the window. I came back a week later, and she'd bought another tv, which worked no better. I told her again to get a wire for a better antenna, and she gave me the old tv.
On 7/23/2014 1:20 AM, micky wrote:

My sister and her husband (both yuppies) had a gasoline power generator that didn't run right. So, they went and bought another, gave me the old one. I cheerfully load it in my truck and drove off with it. Didn't even try to start it onsite.
Problem: Low on oil, and the oil level safety switch was doing its assigned job. Add four ounces of oil, and machine runs fine.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I should have said that I had tried but failed to fix her sewing machine. I said no charge, but she still felt like giving me the tv, which worked fine when I got home. What she thought of as old, 5 years?, I thought of as new. Old would be 20 years.

Good one.!
On 7/23/2014 2:32 PM, micky wrote:

It's good to know I'm not the only one who restores old equipment. Too many people rip and replace, these days.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Subsurface temperature in a particular area is the mean yearly surface air temperature (e.g. in central wisconsin, cave temperatures are around 52F.)
One would assume that the mean temperature is much greater in southern Nevada.
The further down one goes, the warmer it gets :-)
Citation: Smerdon, J. E., H. N. Pollack, V. Cermak, J. W. Enz, M. Kresl, J. Safanda, and J. F. Wehmiller (2006), Daily, seasonal, and annual relationships between air and subsurface temperatures, J. Geophys. Res., 111, D07101, doi:10.1029/2004JD005578.
Oren posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

west-subdivision>

Don't you get it? It is the koolink wasser off the hidden nukeclear reaktor . It is used for the Al Gore glowbell warming meazerments.
--
Tekkie