Labor Day

Around here, there was hardly a flag put out. I'm not a flag waver, but do make it point to put ours up at least on what I consider the more important days - Labor Day being one of them.
I'm just wondering -- did anyone else notice more or less flags up than normal.
I'm sure everyone except me will put one up on Sept 11. I'm not a big fan of looking back on one of the most glaring examples of our government's ineptitude. Same for Dec 7 -- another tremendous tragedy, but another bad example to learn from and move on.
If we are going to annually celebrate failures, let's not forget Being Tricked into Going to Vietnam Day, Kicked Out of Vietnam Day, Kicked Out of Korea Day, Abandonment of Taiwan Day, Screwing up Iraq Day, etc....

That's because Labor Day is not, and never has been, a day on which it's traditional to display the flag.[*] The days on which it *is* traditional are Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, and Veterans Day.
[* -- not the *American* flag, anyway...]

Never heard that before. Is that a local custom? Here's what the US CFR says...
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/chapter-1
6. (d) The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on New Year’s Day, January 1; Inauguration Day, January 20; Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, third Monday in January; Lincoln’s Birthday, February 12; Washington’s Birthday, third Monday in February; Easter Sunday (variable); Mother’s Day, second Sunday in May; Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May; Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May; Flag Day, June 14; Father’s Day, third Sunday in June; Independence Day, July 4; National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, July 27; Labor Day, first Monday in September; Constitution Day, September 17; Columbus Day, second Monday in October; Navy Day, October 27; Veterans Day, November 11; Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November; Christmas Day, December 25; and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States; the birthdays of States (date of admission); and on State holidays.
On 09/02/2014 5:18 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

Most folks never heard of CFR in general, what more know there's actually a regulation concerning same. "Custom" goes far deeper than law.

On 9/2/2014 5:18 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

are flag days. New Year? Easter? Christmas? Mothers Day? Fathers Day? None of those is a day to celebrate our country.
Bill

Jr.'s birthday, third Monday in January; Lincoln's Birthday, February 12; Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February; Easter Sunday (variable); Mother's Day, second Sunday in May; Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May; Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May; Flag Day, June 14; Father's Day, third Sunday in June; Independence Day, July 4; National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, July 27; Labor Day, first Monday in September; Constitution Day, September 17; Columbus Day, second Monday in October; Navy Day, October 27; Veterans Day, November 11; Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November; Christmas Day, December 25; and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States; the birthdays of States (date of admission); and on State holidays.

Dig for it yourself if you want to know about it.

Yes, that's true. I was surprised myself that the CFR actually lists so many days. I was expecting only a list of federal holidays. Never heard of anyone putting the flag out for Mothers Day.

Jr.'s birthday, third Monday in January; Lincoln's Birthday, February 12; Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February; Easter Sunday (variable); Mother's Day, second Sunday in May; Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May; Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May; Flag Day, June 14; Father's Day, third Sunday in June; Independence Day, July 4; National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, July 27; Labor Day, first Monday in September; Constitution Day, September 17; Columbus Day, second Monday in October; Navy Day, October 27; Veterans Day, November 11; Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November; Christmas Day, December 25; and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States; the birthdays of States (date of admission); and on State holidays.

Not interested. I'm only talking about what the flag stands for and displaying it to show respect for forefathers, veterans, working people, etc.

Jr.'s birthday, third Monday in January; Lincoln's Birthday, February 12; Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February; Easter Sunday (variable); Mother's Day, second Sunday in May; Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May; Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May; Flag Day, June 14; Father's Day, third Sunday in June; Independence Day, July 4; National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, July 27; Labor Day, first Monday in September; Constitution Day, September 17; Columbus Day, second Monday in October; Navy Day, October 27; Veterans Day, November 11; Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November; Christmas Day, December 25; and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States; the birthdays of States (date of admission); and on State holidays.

OK. Wait right there and don't move until I answer your questions.
And put this holiday on your flag calendar for next year...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjXzzAMU9Zo

... none of which is relevant to when it's *traditional* to display the flag. Most people decide whether to put a flag out, or not, based on custom and tradition, not on the CFR.
On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:10:59 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:

I agree. Anyone that expects to see as many flags flying on Labor Day or Mother's Day as on July 4th, is nuts.
FLUSH!!! LOL!!!

Guv Bob;3279321 Wrote:

That can't be real. They're missing:
January 8th - In 1935, Elvis' Birthday
July 21 - in 1969, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walk on the Moon.
August 12 - In 1981, IBM distributes a press release to announce it's newest and least expensive computer system; the IBM 5150, a computer powered by the Intel 8088 CPU and using an enhanced version of the Microsoft BASIC operating system called "DOS". With a price tag of just $1565 $US, it was the first true computer marketed to the general public.
--
nestork

Maybe he can fix his line-wrap while he's at it.

LOL!!
nestork wrote:

Do you fly the flag at half staff that day? It certainly was a black day in the history of computing.
Actually, I'd be disappointed not to see LOTS MORE American flags flying on September 11th and December 7th than on Mother's day, Easter or Christmas.
Mother's Day, Easter and Christmas have nothing at all to do with patriotism or American history whereas September 11th and Pearl Harbour ARE American history. If you're going to fly a flag, fly it on September 11th and December 7th instead of Mother's Day, Easter and Christmas. Or, at least, that makes some kinda horse sense to me.
--
nestork

Me, I would put up a white surrender flag on Mother's Day.
I wonder how many people know what this flag is?
http://www.ultimateflags.com/images/P/star%20bars%2013%20md.jpg
Guv Bob posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA what a laugh the only plan he has is to go golfing and raise more money in the process. His party is finally realizing they better get away before the suction takes them under too.
--
Tekkie