L.E.D. string lights

Wrong. Watts *IN* includes everything.

...and is 100% meaningless to 99.99% of the population.

Reply to
krw

ste>

:

I was going to say my incandescent string is more like a 10-20 watt bulb. I would assume the led string is dimmer. It's probably also bluish, which to me defeats nice even warm lighting of the other. Maybe the OP is talking about a strip, didn't mention length. But he is likely long gone.

Greg

Reply to
zek

wrote

The poster said the EE stated efficiency was the determining factor. Therefore, he says the 49 watt output is what counts because it is more efficient. He states that lumens is not useful. I say BS.

This guy may be a genius, but cannot explain his theory to us commoners. Or a whole lot of fact was left out. I don't care how efficient a lamp is, if it is not bright enough, I'm getting a bigger one. More watts = more light.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I read it as lumens didn't say anything about efficiency. Watts out does (since watts in is also stated). Lumens per watt means something but doesn't tell me anything about efficiency. 100W in, 3W out (about right for an incandescent) says it all.

Reply to
krw

No, "luminance" is the correct term for (visible) light output.

No, a lumen is the visible light output of a one candela isotropic source, per steradian (4pi steradians per circle so the entire output of the 1 candela source is 4pi lumens). Distance is not a factor since the energy is measured over a solid angle.

Reply to
krw

Lumens out per watt in varies widely among incandescents.

For example, a Sylvania 75W "standard" incandescent available at Lowes outshines a Sunbeam 100 watt one available at some dollar stores.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com:

Yes, indeed. For incandescents my MO used to be: #1 go for the most lumens per watt. #2 for the top 3 or 4 compare life expectancy. Make your decision.

That was then. Recently things got more complicated because reliability of CFLs was initially rather poor and the price high. That's better now, but the advent of all kinds of different LEDs makes a real jumble out of all those comparisons, not to speak of the pricing problems. I did buy a 3 LED light for undercabinet over the counter lighting, and like the result (not the price): Utilitech 18" 3-Light Linking LED Bar, my price was $39.98, it is now $3 more on line at Lowe's

Reply to
Han

Of course it does! That's the whole point! Where did that come from?

So what?! That has *NOTHING* to do with the issue.

Reply to
krw

Hi, When I visited a museum in Shanghai China some of artifacts display case had auto dimming light. When there is no one near the case the light dimmed very low, when some one approaches it goes back to normal brightness to save energy as well as cause minimal harmful effects on the item which is VERY old.

Reply to
Tony Hwang