Kudos for Home Depot

Page 1 of 2
I knew there was a reason I was glad Home Depot came to town.
One year ago we purchased all the supplies that we would need to do a complete bathroom remodel - paint for cabinets and walls, tub & surround painting kit (Epoxy), Hardibacker board, tile, mortar, grout, and all the tools necessary (paint equipment and tiling gear). We've been putzing with this off and on at our liesure ever since. The tub turned out great (ps - it is extremely important to follow ALL of the preparation instructions on this), replace the sink with a white one (everything was yellow before), sanded and repainted the cabinets, faux painted the walls (sponging technique), and then finally, last month, started on the floor. It didn't go well. Pulled up the toilet and found a disintegrated flange and water damaged particle-board underflooring (under the vinyl flooring that was there before). Had to pull up that top layer of flooring and repair the plumbing, but finally got back to where we could cut and fit the backerboard. No problem there.
Now, exactly one year after buying that tile, we discover that one box is a different tile completely. Call Home Depot and talked to some very cooperative people. Unfortunately, they cannot get any more of the tile that would match the 3 boxes we would prefer, but the odd box isn't that far off from what we thought we'd purchased. Anyway, they have plenty of that pattern, so they are going to take back the three boxes and exchange them for three to match the other box.
Folks, it's been a year. Their posted return policy says 90 days. They didn't even blink. Just said bring it back and get tile that all matches.
Needless to say we're some pretty satisfied customers right now. We'll do business with them again.
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:10:57 -0800, L Beck wrote:

I have been considering painting our yellow tub too but all the one I have seen are not smooth. Do you have any pics?

Again, it's all in the application and preparation. How smoothe it comes out depends on how you apply it. Use the very best applicators you can find. It's Epoxy. I used a roller, which does not leave the smoothest finish. I brushed the last coat (3 total) and it came out much better, but since I'd rolled the first two coats, not perfect. I did that because it was a one piece tub and surround. Use a very high grade brush and it'll come out smoothe.

that's nothing they screwed up soooooooooo bad with my friends kitchen cabinet order, they gave him new cabinets and laminate countertops for $1400 (16 cabinets & 36 lin. ft. of countertop)
so naturally I took his receipt down to them and they honored the price minus 10%. so now my tenant has a brand new kitchen and laundry room for cheap money! (a rental is the only place I would use their cabinets for).
They are great on returns but it is also a problem because they put the returns back in stock. Never buy an open or resealed box. People take advantage of the return policy and remove/lose pieces. This year I saw a women returning her live Christmas tree on Dec 27th. I don't know if she was successful.

Yeah, I bought a fitting to connect a sump pump to a hose, the guy pulled out of stock (last one) and the bottom half of the threads were covered in rust.
Obviously, used and returned.
The returned merchandise cansometimes work out in your favor. This year i went to find a BBQ cover. They have about 4 different sizes. The covers came in individual cardboard boxes and about half of the smallest size covers were opened and then roughly taped back together. Obviously many people had bought the cheapest one and returned it when they realized it wasn't big enough. One had an obvious tear in the cover.
So i said to an orange drone "A few of these opened covers seem to be damaged. Can i get a discount if i buy one?" He offered me 30% off. So i grabbed a taped box, opened it, made sure there was no obvious damage and went away happy. Sure it was a relativly cheap item but it still makes one feel good to save.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:23:37 GMT, "calhoun"

While renovating my late Grandmother's house last year, I saw the same cashier at Home Depot every weekend for a couple months during the summer. My smile was rewarded with the employee discount. And on a $$$ fibreglass shower stall, I received at 15% discount for a non-visible cosmetic scratch.
It's not what you know, it's who you know and better yet, who you smile at.

Really? HD's around here don't give employee discounts. They do have a friends and family discount weekend where you use a 15% off coupon off your total purchase. Oh, and we are in Atlanta, the 'home town' of HD.

I'll have to look into this.

Sure? I also have a 'frequent buyer' discount at VW. I'm surprised you haven't seen me on COPS. Lol.

Take it out of context will you? Sheesh. If she if giving a discount, and there is no legitimate reason for the discount, then its theft. If there is no prior approval from a member of management, then its theft, and if an employee that has a discount, is allowing their employee discount to be used on a member of the general public, then its a form of theft.

but that would fall on the offending employees back, not the customer...
------------------- Chris Perdue *All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" http://hometown.aol.com/bugninva/MAINPAGE.html to reply take your PANTS off

True, and while its nice to walk out from time to time with a deal, when you know you are getting something that you should not, and allow it to happen, as the OP seemed to realize, then, it seems that responsibility would indeed be shared.

in an "ethical" sense i can see that, but in a legal sense the OP is not guilty since he did not negotiate some kind of "deal" with the cashier.... ------------------- Chris Perdue *All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" http://hometown.aol.com/bugninva/MAINPAGE.html to reply take your PANTS off

That depends on what you mean by "guilty". And I'm not sure that it isn't prosecutable actually.
Nevertheless, does right and wrong matter anymore?
And, does anyone think beyond the convenience of the moment what it means to rip off the "big guys" in the larger scheme of things? Everyone seems to think that a few dollars saved for them has no consequence, but it does have an enormous consequence on our economy, taxes, and employment statistics.
Why do you think no one wants to open businesses in high crime areas?
I once managed a medium sized food store where some Muslims put up a poster outside telling everyone that shoplifting from us was a spiritual imperative in service to Allah, that Muslim money should not go to serve the "white devils" and "infidels". True story.
Needless to say, the store is no longer there. Before it closed down, we did fire all the Muslims who worked there one by one for stealing and cheating on the cash register. I wonder where the Muslims shop now, or work for that matter, along with all the other people who lost their jobs when that store had to go out of business.
No one went to jail though, so I guess it was all ok.

to some yes...to most, sadly the answer is NO....people are looking out for themselves, and that is okay...the old saying "what goes around, comes around" usually bites them in the end....this is of course my opinion based on things i have seen... ------------------- Chris Perdue *All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" http://hometown.aol.com/bugninva/MAINPAGE.html to reply take your PANTS off

Kinda like riots in the poorer sections of town. All the rioters do is cut thier own throats by burning out the businesses that are willing to be in that section of town.

If the customer had any ethics they would refuse the "favor". At the very least.
The same goes for customers who don't mention when a cashier makes a mistake in the customer's favor. The loss has to be absorbed by someone, and it isn't the cashier or the customer, unless the store is put out of business. Then the nice cashier can just move on to contribute their charm to someone else's bottom line.
What ever happened to ethics in this country? Or even common sense for that matter?
snipped-for-privacy@queenvic.com says... ~ What ever happened to ethics in this country? Or even common sense for that ~ matter? ~ Ethics? That's simple.
I insist that people conduct themselves ethically in their dealings with me. But when it's my turn, I will do what is in my own best interest. Isn't that how it works? ;-)
I'll bet a lot of people would read that and not find anything wrong with it. And that's what has happened to ethics in this, and just about every, country.
Rick