Krups Coffeemaker (repair)

'allo,
About 6 years ago I got a Krups mod. 212 coffeemaker with a timer. Worked great 'till last week.
At first, it'd brew a pot but wouldn't keep it hot. A bit later the timer would still trip (lite came on) but it failed to brew or heat.
I know the mantra: grasp unit firmly, pitch into trash, buy new one. But this model is no longer available, and the closest match doesn't impress po' me.
So I gotta tear into it, see can I fix-fix. If anybody's got any tips about what to look for etc, it'd be much appreciated.
Cheers, Puddin'
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old.
Puddin' Man spake thus:

Lessee: open heating element, disconnected wires; easy ones to spot.
Less easy: any burnt-looking components; bad solid-state relay? (I'm guessing this is a modren unit that doesn't use a mechanical timer, right?)
If no joy here, try sci.electronic.repair for more electronic help.
--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old.
with ohmmeter i would check the heating elements. inside, can you just bypass the timer? see: http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Fixing_Coffee_Makers-Miscellaneous_Appliances-F2163.htmlFixing
"Coffee Makers You can troubleshoot and repair your coffee maker with tips from the Fix-It Club. Some coffee makers use special fasteners that require unique screwdrivers. You may be able to see the problem without testing anything. Testing a switch with a multimeter. The switch should get a reading of infinite when off and little or no resistance when on. Coffee is America's favorite noncarbonated beverage. It became increasingly so when electric coffee makers started coming home-probably right after electricity was invented. Today's household coffee makers have evolved to where they are simple in design, nearly problem free, and inexpensive to replace. Even so, things can go wrong-and you can fix them! A coffee maker, also known as a coffee pot, is a small heating appliance designed for brewing coffee from ground coffee beans. The two types of electric coffee makers are drip and percolator. Drip coffee makers heat water and pump it to drip through the coffee basket and into a carafe. Percolator coffee makers heat water into steam that pushes the hot water up a tube where it falls through the coffee basket and into the main compartment. Coffee makers use switches to turn on and regulate electricity for heating water, and controllers for warming elements in the base that maintain heat in the coffee. Quite simple. To disassemble and test a drip coffee maker: 1. Unplug the unit from the electrical receptacle. 2. Remove the pot and basket. Remove or tape closed the water reservoir lid. 3. Turn the appliance over and remove all screws that secure the case halves. Lift off the case to expose the heating element and controls. 4. Inspect the control cavity to determine if the solution is simple: disconnected wire, debris, etc. If so, fix, reassemble, and test. Otherwise, continue with the next step. 5. Use a multimeter to test the warming and heating elements, and the switch, thermostat, and timer. 6. Replace any defective parts or decide to replace the appliance, as appropriate. 7. Reassemble the appliance and reinstall the pot and basket. 8. Fill the water reservoir approximately half full, then plug in and turn on the coffee maker to test its operation."
see link for perk repair tips.
Puddin' Man wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:

Hmm. Nothing exotic about this coffee maker. Do what I did when Black & Decker totally screwed up their under-counter model.
1. Mr Coffee basic coffee maker ($9.49 at Wal-Mart). 2. Plug-in appliance timer ($4.95 at Radio Shack)
The combination works swell.

I kinda swore off both B&D and Mr. Coffee ...

Thanks. Made me 'member I gotta old Kmart timer the basement from years ago. Might see use yet.
Puddin'
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old.
Puddin' Man wrote:

Oh, I agree neither are of highest quality, but that's the beauty!
If the coffee pot starts to twitch,* it's "adios, bay-bee" and back to Wal-Mart for a replacement (now at $8.87).
Ten bucks every couple of years (and we drink a LOT of coffee here - coffee and chili contain all the nutrients bachelors are known to need), isn't too bad.
======*I have a back-up coffee pot in the cabinet for just such an emergency.

The timer is now in service. I gotta little Cuisinart at Kohls for $8 after rebates. P'raps it'll last a few weeks longer.

Whot? No frozen pizza?? Onliest thang I know to get a Professional Bohemian Bachelor off the line in the morning. :-)
I once got 10 years outa a Bunn, but they cost too much and ya can't get parts.