Kohler engine problems - craftsman lawn tractor

Page 2 of 2
cjsinko had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Kohler-engine-problems-craftsman-lawn-tractor-366656-.htm : I have the same mower and had the same problem. tried every possible solution. Seemed like an electrical problem. Gave up had sears come out and the problem was water in the fuel bowl. Does it stall under power, i.e., when the blades are engaged and you are mowing? As it stalls try disengaging the blades does it continue to run? If so I bet it is water.
------------------------------------- hillclimber wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 349474 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 2, 12:50 pm, jadunn13_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (hillclimber) wrote:

check the gas cap, there should be a small vent hole, if it is clogged the engine will stall when the fuel use creates enough suction in the tank..
Mark
Add pictures here
✖
replying to hillclimber, Steve S wrote:

I had a similar problem with a 42" Craftsman lawn tractor with a 17 Hp Briggs and Stratton engine. The problem was a bad solenoid valve on the bottom of the carburator. If your mower has a Nikki carburator with a solenoid valve on the bottom, try replacing it.
Add pictures here
✖
replying to hillclimber, ed wrote: the problem is the celluloid , when it gets hot it clo,ses, stoping the gas flow---------when cool it works-----, replace it-----
Add pictures here
✖
replying to ed, ed wrote: to check the celluloid-- turn off engine when not working-- turn start key half way ,you should hear a click, that's the celluloid opening to let gas in, if no click the engine will not start--if you hear the click the gas line is open and the engine will start--this will happen when the celluloid is cool again---
Add pictures here
✖
"ed" > replying to ed, ed wrote:

Solenoid, not celluloid... sheesh...
Add pictures here
✖
replying to hillclimber, Sandor1 wrote: Take a look at the bottom of the carburetor for something sticking out with a wire attached. There is an electronic valve on the bottom which is supposed to close to prevent gas from getting into the cylinders when the mower is not running. That valve goes bad and after being open for 20 minutes or so, closes. My mower had very similar symptoms, even and would frequently die when on the side of a slope. By changing out that valve, the problems went away.
Add pictures here
✖