Kohler engine over revving

I have a lawn tractor with a Kohler Courage engine. Recently the engine be gan surging and after looking for guidance I adjusted the governor as per k ohler manual. Since I made the adjustment the engine revs at full speed on both low and high settings. I have also reset the throttle cable but there has been no change. Any ideas on what my problem is.
On Thu, 7 May 2015 11:26:22 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Is it missing teh return spring?
No the return spring is attached, I can slow the revs by moving the governor linkage by hand.

Surging, also called "hunting" some times happens when the throttle spring gets rusty, and loses its elasticity.

On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 8:10:32 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

r kohler manual. Since I made the adjustment the engine revs at full speed on both low and high settings. I have also reset the throttle cable but the re has been no change. Any ideas on what my problem is.

When fiddling with that kind of thing, it's best to to first record where you started from, make adjustments just a small bit at a time, and then see if it gets better or worse. Sometimes the manual just has the general adjustment procedure, starting from scratch, assuming it was never adjusted to begin with. Which should work, but if it was working OK, then it shouldn't have taken much to adjust it. Typically when it goes from fine to bad suddenly, it's more likely something else, eg debris stuck in the mechanism. Fuel problem can also cause surging. Not clear if the running full throttle part is with or without a load, but if it runs full throttle with load, then I'd say it's not fuel related.