Kohler 4620 toilet

The part of the rubber gasket/washer combination that is under he bolts and between the tank and the commode may be too thin; causing the tube type pa rt of the gasket/washer that goes around the bolts to bulge out and rip whe n the nuts are tightened. It may be possible to avoid this by adding a thic k rubber washer or washers to the bolts in the area between the existing ga sket/washer and the commode. This would prevent the rubber that goes around the bolts from having too much room and bulge out and rip.

Reply to
recyclebinned

The part of the rubber gasket/washer combination that is between the tank a nd the commode may be too thin; causing the tube type part of the gasket/wa sher that goes around the bolts to bulge out and rip when the nuts are tigh tened. It may be possible to avoid this by adding a thick rubber washer or washers to the bolts in the area between the existing gasket/washer and the commode. This would prevent the rubber that goes around the bolts from hav ing too much room and bulge and rip.

Reply to
recyclebinned

You've got some nerve posting a home repair message in the middle of dozens of completely OT messages about cabbage, terrorism and "your an idiot (sic)" posts where two morons race to prove who's the more childish. (-:

Looks like AHR has a serious troll infestation . . .

FWIW, I had a similar toilet tank gasketing problem and the only thing that solved it was getting a new toilet. The new one uses far less water but actually has a bigger tank so if you hold down the handle you can get a double-flush. Useful for vegetarians and when the dog eats styrofoam or anything else that floats (yes, she's house trained).

Reply to
Robert Green

Looks like a modern toilet. Parts are its own:

My limited toilet experiences have taught me that you should not tighten things too tight.

Reply to
Frank

A good thick layer of silicone rubber applied to the area in question has always solved the problem for me.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I silicone goo bathtub caulk everything before assembly these days, it saves lots of leaks

Reply to
bob haller

If you're going to use silicone, then do yourselves a favour and use Kop-R-Lastic caulk instead:

[image:

It's as water resistant as silicone, but it sticks to itself better than it sticks to other materials, and so if you ever want to replace it, you just get it started and it pulls cleanly off every material I've ever put it on. So, if you ever want to replace the stuff, removing it completely is easy. Removing silicone caulk completely is like fighting with a bear. Here's a picture of me pulling fully cured Kop-R-Lasti off of Suite 3's dining room window:

[image:

Note how cleanly it pulls off the white PVC window flashings.

If you can't find Kop-R-Lastic being sold locally, check your local hardware stores (especially the evestroughing section of Home Depot) for "Stone Mason Gutter & Siding Sealant":

[image:

It's exactly the same stuff as Kop-R-Lastic being sold under a different name.

This synthetic rubber cures by reacting with the humidity in the air. So, to store a partially used tube, just candy cane a bit out the nozzle and put in in the freezer. It'll keep for an awful long time that way cuz the humidity of very cold air is extremely low AND the cold temperatures minimize the rate at which that chemical reaction that causes the rubber to cure takes place. When you're ready to use the tube again, just put it in your caulking gun, apply some stiff pressure, pull the cured plug out the end of the nozzle, and it should slowly start flowing again. Allow time for it to warm up before using it. You can candy cane it overnight, or even for several days.

Reply to
nestork

It's a low pressure application. Doesn't need to be killer tight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It will be less than 24 hours, when someone will push this thread totally off topic.

I think the Boston Blastacre was done by foreign terrs. The Obama admin knew ahead of time, but let it happen so they can push more gun control.