Knotty pine - too many knots!!

Page 1 of 2
Hello all;
We've just installed an entire wall of kitchen cabinets in knotty pine (couldn't find any other type of pine, and hardwood prices are out of this world).
When you look at it from the corner of your eye, it feels like the wall is covered with a giant leopard skin. NOT the look we were after.
Is there a way to mask SOME of the knots before we varnish the whole thing in natural or honey-pine finish?
Thanks.
LD
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

No. Your only alternative now is to paint them. If you do, BE SURE you use a stain killer primer (like Kilz) first or the knots will bleed through the paint.
Bob

I see we have another Bob S. fresh to the group....;-)
Actually, there is something besides painting that he can do with stains to lessen the effect. It's a bit of work but you can use some gel stains and/or a mixture of artists paints (acrylics) to "reduce" the knot from standing out so much by blending in some colors and "feathering" it to make them appear smaller and less obtrusive. It will take some practice to get the colors mixed right and then practice the blending. You're only staining the knot - not the surrounding wood so you'll be trying to make it lighter looking (less obtrusive to the eye) and not painting it out entirely.
(the original),
Bob S.
BobS:

Good idea, if the knots will take any stain. There are people who paint fake woodgrain, why not paint out knots.
What about bleaching the knots? He could try a thinned down bleach or peroxide on just the knots. Test it on scrap first.
I know someone who has a knotty (not naughty) cedar wall and it looks great. The OP might want to give it a few weeks and see if he grows to like the knots.
--
Mac Cool

Well, you COULD rout out the knots, and put in dutchman patches. That would be less obtrusive than the knots. But I agree that a coat of shellac and then paint is probably the best bet. Although I'm not sure how knotty pine will stand up to the humidity cycles in a kitchen. You may end up having to patch the knots over the years as they pop out, anyway.
I bought some pine furniture which has lots of knots, but its good stuff. Popping is not necc a worry; see <http://www.canwood.com/feature.html
-
Laminate veneer that you like better over the cabinets.
Bob S. wrote:

I see we have new Bob S. posting in the group...
I posted earlier but for whatever reason it didn't make it thru. I noticed the OP cross-posted his question to several groups and maybe that's where my reply went instead of here.
Paint is certainly an option but he could also use gel stains and/or artists paints to lighten the knots and blend them in by feathering the stain to lessen their presence.
(the original....;-)
Bob S.
BobS wrote:

I completely agree with the suggestion to use a stain killer primer (aka Kilz). Knotty pine is RICH with oils that will bleed thru almost any other type of paint, stain, or primer. For a smooth finish AFTER the stain killer primer is applied, use a wood filler.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

That's why they call it KNOTTY pine. WTF did you use knotty pine for if it's knot what you wanted. I understand not being able to readily find other material locally but you could have oredred it from SOMEWHERE. Didn't you look at it before it was installed?
You're knot being very understanding. LD did knot want to hear that there was knot a thing that could be done. Why could you knot have suggested a knot removing tool? http://www.fine-tools.com/G312215.htm Its knot that LD did knot want the pine to be knotty, LD just did knot want it to be as knotty as it is. If you looked at things from the corner of your eye as LD does you would knot have such a hard time seeing things as they really are and knot how your percieve them.
Are you saying that "Knotty-but-Knot-too-Knotty" Pine should have been spec'd for the cabinets, instead of the regular "Chock-Full-o-Knots" variety? Or would "Semi-Clear-Yet-Knot-Too-Expensive" Pine have been a better choice??
You could always dutchman in some clear pine. 'Twould look worse, but it would eliminate the knots.

I would've ordered "Kinda-Knotty" or "Knot a lot of Knots", but that's knot what everybody likes.
i agree, there is no way to remove knots that won't look worse than the knots themselves. i suggest polyurethane, then live with it for 6 months. sometimes things that bother you at first will be soon forgotten. if it still bugs you, paint them or whatever.
you can paint over it later, I think, and pine /poly should darken over time. Darkening is explained elsewhere in the link I give elsewhere.
-

LOL

naughty knotty, naught not?
RayV (in snipped-for-privacy@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| You're knot being very understanding. LD did knot want to hear that | there was knot a thing that could be done. Why could you knot have | suggested a knot removing tool?
Know knead - just untie 'em...
[Yes, yes - I was just leaving.]
coustanis wrote:

How does your comment help? Does it make you fell superior?

I would bet that falling upwards backwards in time is knot in his skillset.
er
--
email not valid