Knotch in Beam Part 2

Oh wow, what great answers.

Ok, I get the idea! No notch in beam! So, if y'all don't mind, here's a follow up question:

I can easily take 3 1/2 inches off the bottom of the cabinet, but that will leave the cabinet only about 1.5 inches below the beam.

Or, I can take the top and top trim off the cabinet, cut the cabinet down several inches, replace the top and trim, move the little wooden shelf holders down a bit, use a bit of wood filler, touchup paint and re-"distress". Then the cabinet will be more like 5+ inches below the beam. Do you think 1.5 inch below the beam would look too dumb or ok? If you think that would look dumb, how many inches below the beam do you think is best? Again, the beam comes down 10" from the ceiling and the cabinet is 8' tall.

Thanks!

Debra

Reply to
DebraG

Debra...? With all due respect, how the hell would anyone know what is and isn't possible and preferable without seeing the thing? And I'm not talking about a pretty picture of the outside. Any modifications would have to take into account the construction of the carcase and how the trim would have to be reworked. It's entirely possible that your little modifications could exceed what you paid for the cabinet in the first place. Easily.

Call a carpenter and find out if what you're thinking of doing is even possible and whether you want to spend that amount of money or not. Otherwise you're just wasting time - ours and yours.

RicodJour

Any

I can do my own repairs, so the cost to repair is not the issue, time is. With some new bin pulls and caligraphy in card holders, it can be made to look rather spiffy. I think I'll take the easy way out and just take some off the bottom. That still leaves a toe kick. It would look better off the top, and may look a bit odd being that high, but then, I think cabinets above counters look odd! :)

Thanks for the replies.

Debra

Reply to
DebraG