Knockdown (Skip Trowel) Texture -- how to??

Knockdown (Skip Trowel) Texture as seen here:
http://www.flyingehomeimprovement.com/images/sample-textures/knockdown_texture.jpg
How do I do this just for a small patch (2' x 2')? I don't have a mud sprayer. Any tricks to do this?

http://www.flyingehomeimprovement.com/images/sample-textures/knockdown_texture.jpg
long. Load up a small hopper with mud-they even sell small quantities to mix up for that-then spray it on and lightly trowel partly set up.
I have also slapped on a slightly thicker mud with the side of a wide brush, leaving small protrusions to trowel at the proper time. The had sprayer did a better job but this wasn't too bad. Elgy
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 21:50:21 -0700, "elgee"

I've used a small manual sprayer* Splatter it on the wall and then knock it down with a putty knife. Testing is always good. Getting the mud the right consistency is a trick.
This sprayer is 'intended' for a one-time use, BUT I cut the top edge off the cup. Easy to fill the cup back up. Clean well after use and you can use it many times.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 9/6/2009 9:34 PM G. Morgan spake thus:

http://www.flyingehomeimprovement.com/images/sample-textures/knockdown_texture.jpg
I'd love to know too.

Stipple, then run the knife over the top. The exact texture depends on the dampness of the drywall compound and how you use the blade. I recommend practicing on a few sheetrock squares.
Phisherman wrote:

I used a product that was really not meant to be knocked down. It had an aggregate base and was meant to be rolled on and basically left as a rough finish. I used a 6" putty knife to knock it down. It came out very random but very nice. It was a very small powder room and took a lot of practice until it came out the way I wanted it.
On 9/7/2009 4:03 AM Phisherman spake thus:

Good advice, that (practicing). I tried it with a couple methods but still haven't gotten a satisfactory finish.
It's that "stipple" part that has me stumped. By that I assume you mean loading a brush and jabbing it at the wall, correct? How about using a stiff brush to fling the mud at the wall: any good?

David Nebenzahl wrote:

That works. You need to thin the mud some and, consequently, wait longer to knock down. Wall paper adhesive brushes work well...load brush, rap against hand. Distance to wall and mud consistency vary the results.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

and splatters on just like the real hopper does. I have done it many times on small areas like 2'x2'. Chuck
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:05:22 -0700, David Nebenzahl

There are various techniques. Here's how I do it. Thin the drywall compound, just enough such that it drips off the bottom of a tablespoon within a couple seconds (rather than hangs on). Roll on the compound using a paint roller, working in 8x8 foot sections. Use a stipple brush avoiding rows and turning the brush as you stomp with an intentional constant rhythm. The stipple brush head can be purchased for about $15--the good ones are horse hair.
I have doubts flinging the mud with a brush will not give you an uniform layer of compound; but hey, it sounds like messy fun.
G. Morgan wrote:

http://www.flyingehomeimprovement.com/images/sample-textures/knockdown_texture.jpg
HD sells a can of knockdown mud already mixed and ready to use. Shake it and spray it. Wait until it's ready to trowel down. I've used it several times. Practice on a piece of dry wall.
Here's the answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
wlUCSO_Ew

http://www.flyingehomeimprovement.com/images/sample-textures/knockdown_texture.jpg

Thank you all for the suggestions (and the u-tube vid was great). I think I'll go to Lowes tomorrow for a can of this: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId811-1168-406030&lpage=none
and see if they have the texture sponge shown in the video for a backup. Unfortunately I had to buy a whole sheet of drywall, since they only sell the 2x2's in 1/2" -- (mine is 5/8") --- I'll have plenty of drywall to practice on!
Thanks for the great replies.
-Graham