knobs or pulls or both?

Hi all!

Haven't been here in a while and, well, the wife is interested in "redoing" the kitchen cabinets and drawers etc. This translates into refinishing and adding hardware. Right now the drawer fronts and cabinets have no pulls or knobs and we just use the edge of the drawer/cabinet door to open said door or cabinet. So the finish wears off etc. Anyway, I will refinish (have done the vanity wit excellent results- so this is no problem).

She likes these brushed nickel fooball knobs and I was wondering if the football knobs would also be acceptable on the drawers. This probably comes down to personal taste so opinions will vary, however is there some steadfast rule for pulls on drawers and knobs on cabinets? What say YOU!?!? Thanks! Djay

Reply to
djay

We've done a lot of them and have found:

Sometimes a pull will be in a place where it is easy to get a finger stuck in it. Sometimes you have to continue with what's there, or else you have to fill old holes and drill new ones. A combination of knobs and pulls can be very attractive, and I believe there is no need to have one or the other exclusively. Sometimes a mix of more than one style looks good. Use a template to drill, whether you buy it or make it. Nicer finished job. Drill slowly so that when you come through, you don't splinter the wood. Drill on high speed with a light pressure. Come out frequently to clean the sawdust out of the bit. Buy several trial types and take them home to see which ones you like. They will take back the ones you don't like. They will look different at home than in the store, and you might find that one type goes better with some element that's already in your kitchen.

HTH. Just some things we learned, some the hard way.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Personal preference. I installed knobs because I do not like the way pulls look.

Reply to
Eric9822

Our drawers work fine with the same knobs that are on the cabinets. One in the centre for small drawers, two spaced out for the large.

Reply to
Jeff Cohen

I don't agree

Personal preference = NO HER preference = Yes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you wear pants with hammer loops they will catch on knobs at that height, you need smooth pulls there ;)

nick hull

Pulls might keep the fronts cleaner, depending on how the cook handles them. I think the fronts of the cabinets get more wear and dirt with knobs, but that is probably individual.

We got new drawers and doors, light maple, to replace our old, ugly, dark formica. Used all the same hardware, which are simple brushed nickel pulls with no design. They are like a 1/4" rod bent into a wide "U". About 35 y/o. Just cleaned 'em up. Saved a few $.

Reply to
Norminn

Absolutely correct! If we need decorative hardware someplace in the house, I take the missus to the store and let her pick.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks to all of you who responded! I think I'm gonna get double sided tape and tape several of these football style guys on the various cabinet doors and drawer fronts. That might give the missus some ideas!

Good posts from all of you and I appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes!

Djay

Reply to
djay