Knob & Tube wiring - when did it stop?

Center posted, with no text trimmed. As yours was.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Saves us from having to ask if they were illegal Mexicans.

BTW, here is a demonstration of trimmed text, and bottom posting. You might learn some thing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I installed knob and tube in the Cleveland area in the early 1960s. We started to add a green ground and that's what finally killed it. the cost increased by a third because of the ground and local jurisdictions also argued over the best way to splice the ground. Some allowed soldering while other insisted on a crimped connection.

Reply to
bob lang

New install - legal and inspected - of K&T in the 1960's ? OK if you say so .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

It was legal in the 1968 code except for a few places.

Article 320

320-2. Use. (o) Open wiring on insulators may be used for exposed work, either inside or outside building; in dry or wet locations; where subject to corrosive vapors such as covered by Article 480; for services as covered by Article 230, provided the requirements of this Article are satisfied. (b) Open wiring on insulators shall not be used (1) in commercial garages, (2) in theaters, (3) in motion-picture studios, (4) in hoistways, and (5) in hazardous locations, except in storage compartments of Class HI locations as provided in Section 503-3 (b).

Article 324 "Concealed K&T" says pretty much the same thing.

Reply to
gfretwell

In 71 they added assembly halls to the prohibited list but you started seeing "extensions only" in 75.

Reply to
gfretwell

I would think it would have already been dead by then too, compared to Romex due to cost, including labor to install. I know here in NJ I have not seen it in any new work in buildings back to at least WWII.

Reply to
trader_4

Around 1950 - 1955. Fabric romex then was used.

Reply to
Gary