knob and tube

Page 2 of 2

no section of wall will be more than 6 feet from a outlet.... I am a DIY, not a electrician.
and so...... mathmatician..... how far apart DOES that make them?
it sure as hell is not 6 feet.
no section of wall will be more than 6 feet from a outlet.... I am a DIY, not a electrician.
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Yes, and that works out to up to 12' spacing between outlets.

.
yeah in every K&T home I have ever been in most are lucky to have a single outlet per room, are ioverfused cause the proper 15 amp fuse will blow constantly, and have floor outlets. have a friend who had a small fire when his son dropped some stuff in a floor oiutlet.
also have had 3 friends who had to get rid of all k&T when theiur homeowners insurance changed. the company sent inspector, one got sitred for a detoriated porch, steps will no railing in front of home and a bad sidewalk.
once cancelled by one company no one else wanted him, so he had the work done
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:07:29 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

What about a little section of wall between doors?

Mark Lloyd

In habitable rooms like a bedroom, any wall space two feet or larger is required to have an outlet

any section between doors more than 2 feet must have an outlet.

I had a CLOSE call about 11 years ago. it was the middle of the night. I woke up to go to bathroom and realized i had lost my pillow, so i turned overhead light on as I walked out of the room, to avoid being blinded by brite light.
anyhow heard crackling, saw brite flashes on wall.
turned switch off, and spent rest of night awake.
next morning i disassembled overhead light.
the cloth cothered wiring insulation had failed, it was about 50 years old at thaty time, and arcked to base.........
once you have such a close call it gives one a new outlook on safety/
the shower of sparks had fallen directly on the bed clothes, which i tossed out the window.
so detoriated insulation on a overhead lamp can be a big safety hazard

no section of wall will be more than 6 feet from a outlet.... I am a DIY, not a electrician.
I have no idea as to what you are, however, you constantly post incorrect information and personal opinion as fact

^ ^ ^ ^ you can't edit this garbage out???

. Repeating: Not having enough outlets is not an argument for replacing K&T. My house, as built, did not have enough outlets by current standards and it was wired in rigid pipe.
Apparently you think I should replace all the rigid pipe in my house. .

. As Roy said....
-- bud--
outlets are not required every 6 feet
not having enough outlets is a known hazard, from tripping, fires etc.......
the reason for outlets every 6 feet are these issues

This is a great reply, but I should clarify that the K&T to the outlets has all been replaced but I have not replaced the K&T to the lighting because of the hassle of having to cut holes in the plaster to run new wiring. Is it safe to keep the K&T for the purposes of lighting only.
Kenan www.trustasc.com
On Oct 20, 9:40 am, Zippy the Wonder Turtle

. I wouldn't worry about it. If grounding of lights is an issue (might be in kitchen or bathroom) you might want fixtures with no exposed metal or GFCI circuits.
If I had K&T I would replace it as opportunities arose (as someone else suggested).
(Although K&T may cause deteriorated porches, steps will no railings and a bad sidewalks.)
-- bud--

This is a great reply, but I should clarify that the K&T to the outlets has all been replaced but I have not replaced the K&T to the lighting because of the hassle of having to cut holes in the plaster to run new wiring. Is it safe to keep the K&T for the purposes of lighting only.
Kenan www.trustasc.com
K&T at lighting locations can be tricky. Each location must be evaluated separately. If high wattage fixtures that hung close to the ceiling or wall were used, it may have been baked to the point that the insulation crumbles off. If fixtures that stood off of the surface were used, the stuff can be as supple as the day it was installed. In any case you want to limit the load attached to it, and as Bud recommends, replace it as the opportunity arises.
Zippy the Wonder Turtle wrote:

It depends on where it is and what you have connected to the circuit. For example, if it is covered by insulation in an attic or some such place, you should replace it as it may overheat. You're probably OK with typical lights and low-power devices connected to such a circuit, but I'd worry about large and/or high-power devices.