Knife sharpener

Has anyone found a knife sharpener that actually works ?

I use a bench grinder, but the edge does not last long.

Reply to
Andy

Lansky.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

:)

Reply to
dpb

I have found many videos on the process of knife sharpening using several grits of sandpaper on a flat surface such as glass. It was usually 3 or 4 grits beginning with 120 to 400 with just a few strokes per paper per knife and the results were fantastic.

Do a You Tube search on "sharpening knives using sandpaper" and you'll find them.

Reply to
Meanie

AccuSharp

These have become very popular, mainly cuz they work. I got mine at True Value hardware. You can spend more on high-end brands, but they do the same thing. Jes draw the blade thru the angled carbide bits and yer knife is sharp.

I originally saw this sharpener on Life Below Zero, a reality TV show about survivalist in Alaska. One guy, a trapper, used this AccuSharp to sharpen the knives he used for skinning and you damn sure can't have a dull knife when dressing an animal. So, I thought I'd try it.

Despite having several professional kitchen knives and a guy available who jes invested big $$$$ in a Swiss knife sharpening machine, I was not happy with the sharpness of my knives. I bought a cheap stamped SS 8" chef's knife from Chicago cutlery (

Reply to
notbob

Like my Presto Eversharp. Only costs $30 at Walmart.

Wish my wife did not like it so much as my favorite boning knife is starting to look like a toothpick.

People tend to over sharpen knives as all they need is touch-up with a steel every now and then.

I use a ceramic stone rod hand sharpener for my hunting knives and you can shave with them.

Reply to
Frank

My gramma's electric sharpener from 1947, still strong enough to pull a chef's blade right the frock outa my hand and propel that sombitch into the wall!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I only need to sharpen small knifes and have good luck with a whetstone. I keep the blade flat against the stone with a little pressure on the blade. Razor sharp and lasts longer than sharpening it at a steeper angle.

I never need to sharpen large blades, but have good memories of my granddad sharpening farm implements with a foot pedal wheel. Best I remember, it looked like this one only legs were wood. Probably handed down from his father.

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

This seemed to work ok for pocket knives:

(Amazon) It's couple wheels with a sharpening stone in the middle.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

As Wade said, Lansky.

I bought one of these kits 30+ years ago. It works great for all sorts of knifes because you can change the angle based on the purpose of the cutting tool. It puts such a good edge my Henckels that I can go about a year with just a touch ups with a steel.

DerbyDad03

Are you using a steel in between? Couple of swipes cleans up the edge. I do it mot every time I pick up a knife to use. Sharpen only a couple of times a year at best, steel every day.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Depends on how much of a purist you are.

Quick, and what I use on the kitchen knives. It also has guides for many more things than knives.

Quick, cheap, and portable. Good enough for most things.

After that, you get into croc sticks, diamond stones. Arkansas stones, various guides, the scary sharp method of wet & dry paper on a sheet of glass, etc, etc.

Reply to
rbowman

This is the model I use and was recommended by America's Test Kitchen.

I am very pleased with it; knives are as sharp as a razor after using it. I bought mine at Bed, Bath, & Beyond and used a 20% off coupon.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I used several. A bad knife is always hard to sharpen and keep sharpened. A bench grinder is rough and gets too hot. It ok to get a contour on thick metal. Too much thickness, and it's hard to get the correct angles on edge.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It happens that Andy formulated :

Bench grinders are too harsh on cutting knives. You need a whetstone or diamond stone and lubricate it with mineral oil.

Eagle

LOL!! Heap big Good!

Reply to
burfordTjustice

The reason it does not last long is a bench grinder heats the blade. The blade then loses its temper. It will then never stay sharp for long.

Knives, and scissors, should always be sharpened on a wet wheel. To keep the blade cool.

I have never sharpened my kitchen knives. I use a steel on them often enough that the blade doesn't get dull.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss