KitchenAid Washer - blance problem

Hi.
This is Model: KAWL410BWHO
Not sure of age, but about 10 years old. Goes wild in spin cycle. Fine during wash cycle. It's out of balance in spin, even with no water in it, or clothes. When I load it up with clothes, it tries to shake itself apart.
Looked under it, the suspension springs are fine and hooked up.
Puzzling thing is a triangular shape part, which does not seem attached to anything. It's located just under the tub. Could take a picture, but am not sure it can be attached here.
What should I look for? I'm sure balance questions came up before, but I can'd find anything useful in web search.
Regards,
RichK
Greetings,
I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago, after a move, during which I presume the washer was tilted and/or jarred enough to throw the balance out of whack.
That triangular-shaped part (let's call it the "tub frame" as I don't know its real name) is supposed to just "float," retained in place by the suspension springs that you mentioned. However, it should float freely, able to move laterally in any direction. In my situation, the tub was able to move but not as freely as it should have.
In my case it turned out that (if I recall correctly) one of the "tabs" on the bottom of the tub had caught somewhere on the frame, hindering the free movement of the tub. This would have required a fair amount of rotation of the tub; I'm not sure how it happened merely by transporting the washer, but that's what happened. In any case, I determined the tub's intended position by finding wear marks on its underside (it "floats" above some--three, I think--teflon bearings, which weren't lining up with the wear marks).
Once confirming that the tub was indeed out of alignment, I reseated it in its original position. I removed the suspension springs in order to do this, although it may be possible to right the tub without resorting to such measures.
I've got the thing apart right now because of a different problem, so if I can be of further assistance, please follow up via e-mail. Good luck!
Cheers, Jeremy
RichK wrote:

RichK wrote:

Hi,
Washer been moved recently? On a wood or cement floor?
A copy:
EXCESSIVE VIBRATION OR MACHINE WALKS: ~Not level. ~Front leveling leg locknuts not tight. ~Weak floor.- Try it on a concrete slab ~Unbalanced load. ~Shipping pins still in shipping location. (not dropped into retaining cups) ~Rear leveling legs stuck. ~Rear cabinet sides loose. ~Suspension plate pads worn - Replace Suspension Plate & Base Pads ~Suspension springs missing, broken or not connected. ~Basket ballast missing (Salt water in plastic inner tub ring leaked out, ring is located around top of inner tub, usually brown in color).- Check for sloshing water sounds as tub stops from spinning

Part of the suspection.... http://www.applianceaid.com/suspention.html
Hi Jeff the AppliGuy:

Yes, moved recently. Was placed on the side during move. Did one load after the move and it was a bit out of balance, but on second load went wild. Floor is cement in the basement.

Checked and re-checked the level.

Must verify that and lock them. The rear legs are "self adjusting" there's no way to lock them.

Yes, floor is concrete.

Viabrates even without any clothes in it. Even removed the agitator and made no diff.

Ah, that's what these are :-) They are in their plastic "cups" - had no idea what they were for :-)

Lubed them and excersided. There's some spring between them and it's in place. Seem OK.

Did not remove any, so they must be in place.

Not sure where these are. This is a possibilty. Have User and Installation manuals, but these were not marked.

These are fine and connected.

Do hear some slushing, so this must be OK. Was not aware of this item. Thought if was some left over water. Looks like there's more to a washer than I thought :-)

From your link, it appears that the "triangular shaper part" must be "skate plate kit", which at the moment is just loose. Should it be attached in some way to anything?
Regards,
Rich
My own followup:

attached
"skate
With the washer in the upright position, I moved the wash tub around vigoruosly and maybe things fell somewhat in place. It does not shake as bad. It still does some.
Is there some sort of spec on how much out of balance a new machine can be? I've not owned a new one in a long time.
This one is good 10 years old and maybe it needs new pads, but I'd hate to spend the money and time, just to find out that what I have now is "normal" :-)
Regards,
Rich
G'day,

Free floating.

Not sure what this is asking!? The baskets will wobble normally and inch or so back and forth normally...if that is what you meant?

Probably why it is wobbling... http://www.applianceaid.com/suspention.html http://tinyurl.com/rg3bt

be?
That's about how much mine wobbles, when it's empty.
Went over to neighbors house and tested the washer in spin, without any water or load - the thing was in perfect balance. It was a Sears model about 7 years old.

Thanks for these links Jeff. What are the pads made of? Will putting some grease help.
Looking at the second picture, I suspect one of the pads is gone in my case. I see some bare metal where it should be. Will use mirrors to get a better look from the bottom.
It's a great lesson for me in washers :-) Used them all my life, but never looked under one. Well, once :-)
Regards,
Rich
RichK wrote:

G'day,
A nylon like material, white ones and brown ones are slightly different density. Usually clean ( if sticky ) them but no lube.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N)78 http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N)79 Pictures of them.