Kitchen Wiring

When I on the Microwave or Toster oven, I get a noise crackling sound out of the GFCI switch outlet, with a smoky smell.

Request to confirm, what is the probable problem and potentail solution to resolve the same.

Thanks.

Reply to
AT

Hmmm, B4 that, investigate for loose connection. Stab connection is always troublesome.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Might be a loose connection in the GFCI outlet.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

If you're hearing crackling, kill the circuit and remove the outlet, my guess is the rest will be self-explanatory

Reply to
RBM

Sure, look, but as long as you have it apart, change the GFCI anyway. They're cheaper than a fire, and if if has already made funny noises and released some of the magic smoke that all electrical devices contain, it is probably damaged anyway. Stuff that can kill you is not the place to try and save ten bucks.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

should one replace by 15 amps or 20 amps switch

Reply to
AT

What Tony Said. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati
15 0r 20 amp GFCI *Outlet* depends on size of wire going to (feeding) it. #14 gets 15 Amp #12 gets 20 Amp. Most likely is already a 20 Amp with #12 wire feeding it. Tony
Reply to
Anthony Diodati

The first thing I would try is change the GFCI.

Reply to
metspitzer

That's not correct. 15 amp duplex outlets have 20 amp pass through buss and are fine to use on 20 amp circuits, which all kitchen counter outlets should be.

Reply to
RBM

Yes, that's true, "My Bad" I guess I was thinking of breakers. In any case, "RBM" is correct, and I stand corrected. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

AT wrote in news:63d2764f-d90c-44fa-b26d-784305d2c462 @w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

I bet it's an electrical problem.

Reply to
Red Green

No way. It's hard water, or maybe the HOT water heater.

Reply to
Tony Miklos