Kitchen Wiring

When I on the Microwave or Toster oven, I get a noise crackling sound out of the GFCI switch outlet, with a smoky smell.
Request to confirm, what is the probable problem and potentail solution to resolve the same.
Thanks.

The first thing I would try is change the GFCI.
metspitzer wrote:

B4 that, investigate for loose connection. Stab connection is always troublesome.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Sure, look, but as long as you have it apart, change the GFCI anyway. They're cheaper than a fire, and if if has already made funny noises and released some of the magic smoke that all electrical devices contain, it is probably damaged anyway. Stuff that can kill you is not the place to try and save ten bucks.
-- aem sends...

should one replace by 15 amps or 20 amps switch
<<SNIP>>
Sez...................
<<<should one replace by 15 amps or 20 amps switch>>>
15 0r 20 amp GFCI *Outlet* depends on size of wire going to (feeding) it. #14 gets 15 Amp #12 gets 20 Amp. Most likely is already a 20 Amp with #12 wire feeding it. Tony

That's not correct. 15 amp duplex outlets have 20 amp pass through buss and are fine to use on 20 amp circuits, which all kitchen counter outlets should be.

I guess I was thinking of breakers. In any case, "RBM" is correct, and I stand corrected. Tony

What Tony Said. Tony
metspitzer wrote:

Might be a loose connection in the GFCI outlet.
Lou

If you're hearing crackling, kill the circuit and remove the outlet, my guess is the rest will be self-explanatory

I bet it's an electrical problem.
Red Green wrote:

No way. It's hard water, or maybe the HOT water heater.