Kitchen upgrade

Beginning to investigate getting my kitchen upgraded. Will want the existing wallboard removed and replaced. Anticipating using "stock" cabinetry. Wondering if there are any useful rules of thumb to utilize in forecasting expenses. I'm picturing something like wallboard square feet times numbers of workers needed times average labor rate. Perhaps something similar for assembly and hanging of the cabinets.

Reply to
Jim

Stock cabinets can run from $100 to $1000 for the same size cabinet. Only rule of thumb that I know of is that it will end up costing more than you planned on.

Counter top can run from $1 and inch to $20 an inch. (yes, inch, not foot) Your best bet is to set a budget, then try to see what you can get for about

15% less than that. By the time you are done it will probably be over budget anyway.

The lowest price is not always the best value. There are true craftsman doing kitchens, but there are also a lot of hacks. Check out the work of whoever you hire. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I should have been clearer. Looking for insight as to how to determine labor for the jobs.

Reply to
Jim

That is my point, you can't use a rule of thumb. You can get bids from various contractors, but one may take an hour to do a specific chore and charge you $60 in labor. Another may charge you $70 and take 45 minutes, still another may charge you $40 but take two hours, and still another may charge you $80 and take one hour. All may or may not have the same result. Any of the above may do a fine job or they may do crap. Kitchens are not like oil changes where $29 covers any vehicle. The square and plumb of the room make a big difference in the appearance of the final job and that is where craftsmanship comes into play. It may take an hour longer to hang that first cabinet just right so the others follow. Careful trimming and fitting using a hand plane, etc. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski