kitchen update question

I am planning on knocking out some (not all) cabinets to put in a dishwasher in the kitchen. Above the cabinets are my 50 year old dinged up tile that I'd like to have refinished. I have a sink between the tiles, and I'd like to get it refinished too. I'm planning on having contractors do all the work

Is there any rule of thumb on the order of the three (dishwasher, re-finish tile, re-finish sink) ? I'm looking for independent opinions outside of what the contractors may tell me. Hopefully I gave enough information.

Thanks.

Reply to
Me

The picture is not totally clear, it sounds like you want to tear out enough below-counter cabinetry to put in a dishwasher, replace your sink, and replace the tile backsplash. Barring complications, I'd replace the tile first cause that will make a mess. Then the sink so that the plumbing can be updated to allow for the dishwasher, then the dishawasher last. Better yet would be to do the sink and dishwasher at the same time, that's one trade, the plumber, that can do all that. Note that for a dishwasher you probably need a separate circuit, not sure if that's a 'code' item or if it's just a good odea because the thing pulls so much electricity.

Usually/often the dishwasher connects into the garbage disposal. If you don't have one and want to add one, that's another circuit 'I think'.

Reply to
roger61611

Depending on how "dinged-up" your tile and sink are, it could be very expensive to attempt some restoration and you'll just end up with better-looking 50 year-old stuff.

Rather than put good money into old tile and sink, have you considered redoing them? Yes, it will be more money, but it will all be "moving-forward" money.

Reply to
Joe S