Kitchen trash compactor hums when foot pedal is lifted

Do you have experience troubleshooting kitchen compactors?

The GE built in compactor just stopped working. When I close the door and lift up the foot pedal, it just very lightly hums as if a motor is only barely going on or maybe some electrical circuit is going on.

What normally makes a compactor just lightly hum electrically when the pedal is activated?

It's a GE GCG 1580 (LOSS) about 10 years old.

The specs say it's a 1/3 hp trash compactor with 1.4 cu. ft. capacity.

Chris Morris

Bad capacitor on the motor, if it has one? First step would be to see if you can turn whatever the motor drives by hand. If it moves, then it's a motor problem. If it doesn't then it's most likely something stuck somewhere else. I guess it could still be bad motor bearings that have seized too.

Reply to
trader_4