Kitchen sink types

I noticed I don't really have a use for the partition in the middle of the sink splitting it into two small sections. I was going to get a new sink with one large section and one small section, then thought it might be good to just have one giant sink without a partition at all. Is this problem at resale time? Is there another common purpose for having a split sink other than to have soapy water and rinse water separation for hand washing?

Reply to
Rex

recent kitchen I could not find a nice looking single under mount so I did a double one large 9" deep side and one small side.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

These things are usually at the whims of fashion. I notice a lot of large sinks and large side by side types going into new construction and renovations here in Chicago. Also popular are the high goose neck faucets or the facet/pull out sprayer combos. All in the name of practicality. If you have a friend in real estate they can always recommend. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

One large rectangular sink is the way to go. It's a benefit for resale, not a liability, as such sinks are higher end. I really think that eventually double basin sinks in kitchens will go the way of the dinosaur. They're a holdover from a time without dishwashers where people would have one basin full of soapy water with every bowl, fork and spoon; and another basin to rinse in.

But really, if you want to wash certain items by hand, just put a dab of dish soap right on them from a pump dispenser to wash them, and then rinse them off. Another benefit of one spacious sink basin is that you can fit oversized items in (think cookie sheet).

If you ever needed a separate basin, you could just keep a little plastic basin under the sink to use occasionally. I doubt it'd get used, though.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

It's also for things like having a place to rinse and peel vegetables whilst having a pan soak or a partner drains pasta. Stuff like that.

But in my remod I'm going for a big sink, and will invest in some stainless steel tubs for when I need separation (won't have drains, though).

Others will have to respond regarding refitting the new sink.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Nope, I'd rather the one large sink.

Yes, to annoy the heck out of me. I hate our double sink and can't wait to change it to a single.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I almost always have soapy water in one sink while I am cooking or baking, so's I can keep dishes washed and wipe up spills. If I had only one sink, I could not do that or I would have to use dishpan (ugly!). Also need to rinse more dishes or clean veggies while dish washing is going on. I think it would be PIA to have only one sink. Hubby convinced me to get deeper sink when we remodeled, and we have a high faucet, the kind that is "U" shaped, and it is real handy for large pots. Our sink is 9", I believe. Deeper would be too low for me because I am tall. I like the sinks with drainboard, as most of our dishes drain dry because I am too lazy to load the dishwasher. Dishwasher requires almost as much work and water as doing it the old-fashioned way :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Most of this boils down to your main uses for the sink and personal preferences. About 6 months ago I replaced my kitchen sink and spent a couple of weeks sorting through the options. Here are my thougths:

First, the most useless sinks, IMO are the two bowel disposal models where there is one large bowl, one very small bowl, split about 80/20. Until recently, I never knew what the idea behind these was. The small bowl is supposed to be for the garbage disposal, with the idea being that you scrape plates off into it. I've never done this, one reason being in my house, the disposal was installed on the large bowl. And if I scrape off plates, I only scrape off the big stuff and I usuallydo that right into the garbage can. So the small bowl, IMO, is usesless.

Then there are the two bowel sinks with both bowls of decent size. The big advantage of having two bowels for me is having a clean back up sink available. For example, when cooking, I can be using one bowl for prep work with veg scraps, etc, and use the second for a collander. Or just having it available to use should the need arise while the other bowl if occupied. Of the two bowl sinks of decent size there are two types:

Equal bowls - These can be OK, but the main drawback is that neither bowl is large enough for big pots/pans.

Bowls split to be about 2/3, 1/3. This is my strong preference. The main bowl is then large enough to fit most pots/pans, while the second bowl is still big enough as a second sink. The depth of the bowls is another key factor, deep is much better. It gives more room and even makes the spray much more usefull, as there is less blowback when spraying things. Drain location is another factor, with drains located in the back a plus, as it gives more space on the sink bottom, without the drain being there.

I decided on the Kohler Marsala, which is shown on their website. It has two bowls, split about 2/3, 1/3 with the larger one being very deep, the second being average depth. It comes with a single faucet hole located at the middle divider, with an optional second hole in the corner. This eliminates the dead space usually running along the back of the sink, so the two bowls both go far back, right to the rim, giving a couple of extra inchs of room. The drains are located in the rear. I have my hot water dispenser in the corner hole.

Regarding sink options and extra holes, another conclusion I came to is that I didn't want a soap dispenser. When I dispense soap, it is frequently onto something, like a pot, so I prefer to have a soap bottle handy.

I absolutely love the Marsala and think it is the perfect std size sink. Hope all this helps!

Reply to
trader4

I had a few thoughts after reading some of the replies.

1.) Most garbage disposal manufacturers warn against shoving piles of peelings down the disposal, so it makes sense to peel into something you can empty into the garbage or a compost pile.

2.) Even if you decide to peel into the sink, who cares if peels get soapy, or get pasta water on them? It's garbage. You really don't do "food prep" on the dirty bottom of a sink.

3.) When someone needs to drain a big pot of boiling pasta water, you're going to get out of their way anyway, and it takes mere seconds, so a divider isn't needed.

4.) If you feel you need to soak some dish, most items (pots, pans, plates, casserole dishes, etc) will hold thier own soapy water, so there's no need for immersion. And without a divider, there's more room to set set dishes.

After two years of putting up with two basins, I realized one day that not once in all that time did my wife or I ever need or use that divider that was getting in the way and taking up valuable sink room.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

One reason why I dont' miss having a garbage disposal. You need to scrape stuff into the garbage and get it out of the house anyways. (BTW, anyone catch the NPR story on plumbers' busiest day of the year being the Friday after Thanksgiving?)

I care. Not for the peels, of course. But for the blockage and the overall accumilating mess. It *is* nice to have one little basin clean for some things while there's a mess in the other.

They quickly clean up before they do?? Or do you *enjoy* that mush-mess of potato peels, strawberry tops, and eggshells, 4qt. of pasta-water, mix gently??

I dunno - I'm the only cook. The veggies need peeling sometimes when the pasta needs draining, and I'm out of my own way...

Yep, this one I agree with. And the cookie sheet, and the turkey pan. Although with my old double sink I got pretty good and just turning around for stage two cleaning..

I was totally on the fence (um...divider?) about the two vs. one basin thing, and went for one basin for the remod. But it's really an individual thing. For me, advantages vs. disadvantages are about a toss-up.

Banty (hmmmm, granite's not cut yet, maybe I can change my mind...)

Reply to
Banty

"1.) Most garbage disposal manufacturers warn against shoving piles of peelings down the disposal, so it makes sense to peel into something you can empty into the garbage or a compost pile. "

I've never seen this from any disposal manufacturer. They do caution against putting certain things down the disposal, like corn cobs, but I've put a lot of peels and vegetable products in disposals for years with no problems. That is one of their main points for me.

"2.) Even if you decide to peel into the sink, who cares if peels get soapy, or get pasta water on them? It's garbage. You really don't do "food prep" on the dirty bottom of a sink. "

No one mentioned wanting to keep peels from getting soapy. What was mentioned was having one bowl with peels, dishes or soap foam in it and being able to use a second clean bowl for other use, like putting a collander for pasta in.

3.) When someone needs to drain a big pot of boiling pasta water, you're going to get out of their way anyway, and it takes mere seconds,

so a divider isn't needed.

I don;t know what this has to do with one or two bowls.

"After two years of putting up with two basins, I realized one day that

not once in all that time did my wife or I ever need or use that divider that was getting in the way and taking up valuable sink room. "

I use two bowls frequently enough that it is a valuable feature for me. Which shows why manufacturers make them both ways.

Reply to
trader4

And sell good numbers of both.

It's personal preference.

Interesting discussion though on folks preferences. I like a double sink myself because there are always dishes I don't want going into the dishwasher (the good knives, the pots with handles that'll dry out, etc), and I like being able to fill up a sink bowl with hot soapy water to do a thorough job of cleaning all surfaces without using too much water, and to have another bowl that's clean as can be to put the finished dishes to dry w/o having an ugly drying rack hanging around taking up counter space.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

On 12/03/05 03:07 am snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Today we noticed at least one sink with a single large bowl that comes with a separate small bowl that is an exact fit.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

On 12/03/05 09:07 am Norminn tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

But a dishwasher uses hotter water and more potent detergent than your hands can stand, so should contribute to your health and hygiene.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy