Kitchen sink spayer

40+ year old kitchen sink with pull out hose mount sprayer. Sprayer is failing. Are these a universal fit type of item? Can spray heads be obtained or must the entire unit including the hose be replaced as well? Any true advantage doing one or the other?
Anticipating a kitchen upgrade in the near future so with that in mind not wishing to invest in replacement faucet assemblies if that can be avoided.
Thanks.
Jim wrote:

I've replaced 'em -- no big deal. Peruse the shelves at your local hardware and you'll have a pretty good idea of your options (e.g. head alone, head and hose, etc.). If they're not standardized, I didn't notice.
Jim wrote:

Most are standard. How is it failing. No sense in replacing a good part. Often the diverter valve that is not in the spray head is the first thing to go.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Why dick around with parts. They whole thing isn't that expensive. Just get the hose and head complete and the job is done. Reduces the chance of another portion failing later. Just use the new one in the kitchen upgrade.
If you buy repair parts, you'll be throwing that $ away when you upgrade kitchen because you WILL (right) put an entire new one in that for sure.
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:14:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Al

Why dick around with the car, Al? Just buy a new one (every 3,000 miles or 4 months) when the oil needs changing.

$5 vs. $100? Hmmm, heavy decision. ;)
------------------------------------------------------- "i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society. ---- http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
quickly quoth:

After reading your "$5 vs. $100?" I'm like wtf?!
Apparently "pull out hose mount sprayer" being referred to is the main faucett between the cold & hot handles and not the sprayer on the side. Assumed OP was talking about the side sprayer being a 40+ year old kitchen sink.
Al Bundy wrote:

Correct. Side mounted sprayer.
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:35:34 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Al

OK, $4.95-55 for a sprayer. (parts not available?) https://secure.dolphinplumbingsupply.com/Residential/Kitchen+Faucet+Repair+Parts/Spouts+and+Sprays/Sprays/Sprays?osCsid 321f404537c101b3fda20667156ac6 or $9-40 for a diverter valve. http://www.faucetpartsplus.com vs. $100-399 for a faucet assembly.
--
As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death.
--Leonard da Vinci (1452-1519)

Replace the whole thing, hose and all. They're cheap. It should fit 99% of faucets. Otherwise buy an adptor to match the faucet pipe threads.
Jim wrote:
I think you probably need a license to perform vetinary operations in your sink.