kitchen-sink's splashboard is a window. How to protect from water, etc?

Some time ago I asked a similar question, but none of the suggestions were acceptable to, uh, "she who must be obeyed".
And I forgot to say that the existing splashboard wasn't just wood, but an actual window, with the usual wood frame, molding (sp?), pane-separators, etc.
Right now it's painted in an off-white or eggshell color, via an acryllic paint.
Which is of course getting destroyed, by the usual water, detergent, etc.
--
So, here's the question: what kind of paint can we use
to be more waterproof than ordinary indoor paint?
David Combs wrote:

Hi, One hint, how about glass blocks? Run your imagination wild!
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/3/2011 1:24 AM, David Combs wrote:

The problem is probably paint technique, not the paint itself. The panes and moldings have to be sealed up so moisture doesn't seep between them, inside and out. Does outside need reglazing/repainting? On inside, paint so that the edge of the paint doesn't stop on the molding, but has about 1/16" onto the glass. That way, slop or condensation doesn't get into the wood and cause the paint to peel/crack. If that doesn't work, nothing will.
Of course, a cute little planter would block some of the splashing and possibly benefit from added moisture....how in the world does wife get so much onto the window?
Add pictures here
✖

Well, I do a lot of the dishes, and use the squirt hose, which reflects off to the back.
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 3, 2:57 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Dont use the hose. I took mine iut and put in something useful....liquid hand soap dipenser..
JImmie
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:02:22 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

Good idea. If you splash water all over even a backsplash won't help. What I'd do is just keep the water off the window. And how I'd do that is with a portable backsplash kept under the sink or off to the side, depending on how presentable you make it. Could be s strip of plexiglas or a plastic cutting board, etc. Glue some weather stripping or sponge on the bottom edge, and stick it upright behind the faucets when you figure you'll be splashing water on the window. Nice project, and an easy one.
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖

I find it useful for washing hard-to-reach areas of the sink & counter, but find it clumsy to pull out & retract.
HB
Add pictures here
✖

Easy answer (but perhaps unacceptable ONE house resident) -- KEEP it pulled out, all the way. Let the "head" live, say, in the dish-rack.
David
Add pictures here
✖
David Combs wrote:

Any oil paint. Best of those would be a polyurethane one rather than alkyd.
And keep in mind that nothing lasts forever.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Jun 3, 12:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Its time for a decent dishwasher and get rid of the spritzer. Then clean and paint the window area as SWMBO orders.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
(David Combs) wrote:

Its time for a decent dishwasher and get rid of the spritzer. Then clean and paint the window area as SWMBO orders.
Joe
DITTO...
Add pictures here
✖

What, just stick the dishes into the washer with food sticking to them? Or even just "dish". And the food dries and hardens onto the plate(s) for several days until dishwasher gets somewhat filled? (Two-person household)
Man, I *like* that squirter -- blasts food right off the plate, spritz it with squirt-bottle 5%dawn 95%water, give a quick brush stroke or two, and set into the drying rack on counter.
That idea of plastic barrier is interesting -- heck, I'd just leave it there, until guests arrive, I suppose. (But, alas and alak, I'm not totally in charge here!)
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 3, 1:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Does your situation look anything like this:
http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/insidepix/kitW.jpg
That's my kitchen. It's just got ordinary paint. Oil-based, I think. Looks fine. Cleans up easily. No destruction. It was painted before I moved in 11 years ago.
What's your wife doing to it?
Cindy Hamilton
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:17:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

Mine is like that, a splashboard, and a few inches of wall from the sink top to the window. David says his window is on the same level as the sink top, with nothing between. Different. Odd design. Sounds like the sink was moved from its original location and put up against the window.
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖
Vic Smith wrote:

this is common in older houses in az. sounds like a passthrough window to the patio/pool. lets mom keep an eye on the kids whilst doing the dishes.
Add pictures here
✖

WOW, so nice and clean!
No way I'm going to post a photo, no sireee!

More like, what am *I* doing to it?

Well, oil-based is clearly the correct solution, but vetoed, because all the current paint would have to be scraped off down to the wood, and deemed way too much work.
So we bought some non-oil-based but still water "resistant", which we'll put on in a week or two.
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 3, 1:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Legal separation, followed by divorce proceedings.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 10:24:21 PM UTC-7, David Combs wrote:

LOL I was just looking for portable slash guard to keep my kitchen window f rom getting so disgusting. I hate cleaning windows to begin with so EXTRA window cleaning won't do. Did you ever find something that works? I'll co ntinue my search and let you know if I find anything.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 4:51:53 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@me.com wrote:

I hate cleaning windows to begin with so EXTRA window cleaning won't do. Did you ever find something that works? I'll continue my search and let you know if I find anything.

Oh PLEASE do!! I'm sure the OP is still searching for a solution FOUR YEARS after he posted his request.
Add pictures here
✖