Kitchen Sink P-Trap problem

The stainless steel sink is dual bowl, with a garbage disposal (not shown) connected to the right drain.

These two photos show the layout of the plumbing:

The center of the left bowl's drain was about 3/8" too close to the entrance to the p-trap.

So I attempted to shorten the horizontal pipe from the output of the

90-degree elbow to the y-connection at the rear wall. I ended up with this:

Note the 1/16-1/8" inch gap. The item with the bar code is a repair coupling. After priming and doping it, you slide it over the junction of the two pipes you are joining. Obviously, at the left end there is nothing for it to grab on to.

The repair coupling is 1.5" long. If it were, say, 1.0" I could probably cut back the pipe it's on enough to allow gluing an short extension - maybe with 1/2" visible onto the output of the 90-degree elbow. Then the coupling could slide over 1/2" of each pipe.

I'm horrible at cutting 1.5" PVC pipe with a hacksaw and getting square cuts, so what I just suggested would be a challenge for me.

Can anyone think of a different approach?

Thanks,

R1

Reply to
Rebel1

The stainless steel sink is dual bowl, with a garbage disposal (not shown) connected to the right drain.

These two photos show the layout of the plumbing:

The center of the left bowl's drain was about 3/8" too close to the entrance to the p-trap.

So I attempted to shorten the horizontal pipe from the output of the

90-degree elbow to the y-connection at the rear wall. I ended up with this:

Note the 1/16-1/8" inch gap at the output of the elbow. The item with the bar code is a repair coupling. After priming and doping the pipes, you slide it over the junction of the two pipes being joined. Obviously, at the left end there is nothing for it to grab on to.

[...]

The repair coupling is 1.5" long. If it were, say, 1.0" I could probably cut back the pipe it's on enough to allow gluing a short extension - maybe with 1/2" visible - onto the output of the 90-degree elbow. Then the coupling could slide over 1/2" of each pipe.

I'm horrible at cutting 1.5" PVC pipe with a hacksaw and getting square cuts, so what I just suggested would be a challenge for me.

Can anyone think of a different approach?

Thanks,

R1

Reply to
Rebel1

I think you are going to get a little better at cutting with a hack saw and cut the right end of the coupling off, flush with the elbow to it's right. That will leave you with a screwed up elbow.

To fix the elbow you will need a Socket Saver as shown here:

Just make sure you buy the correct diameter tool for your pipe size.

That tool will get you to where you can start over and get the length correct. If measure wrong again at least you won't have to buy the tool again. ;-(

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

See above response.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

See above response.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Gap? Where?

Is the 1/16-1/8" gap you speak of that dark line between the pipe and the exit of the elbow?

If so it looks like you cut the pipe right there. Did you, and if yes, why on earth would you cut it there?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yes, that's the end of the pipe. But I don't understand what the problem is or why any exotic solution is needed. All he needs to do is:

Slide off the repair coupling

Cut the existing pipe shorter so it winds up going a bit less than half way into the repair coupling

Cut a new short piece of pipe that will go into the elbow and just short of half way into the repair coupling.

Glue it up.

The main objection seems to be cutting a piece of PVC straight? If that's a concern, just buy a PVC pipe cutter. They don't cost much and make quick straight cuts with a knife type blade set in jaws.

Reply to
trader_4

You left out "get the end of the pipe he cut off of the elbow".

Why on earth the OP chose to make the saw cut there is a problem for the ages.

He'd probably find it cheaper to buy a new elbow than to purchase one of those "drill bits" mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Which elbow? The only pipe I see glued in is the short piece that's glued into the elbow on the right. You have a short piece of pipe, apparently glued into the right elbow, that has the repair coupling slipped over it, but not glued. From what I see, all he has to do is pull the repair coupling off, then shorten that piece piece of pipe. Cut another short piece of PVC to fit between the other end of the repair coupling and the left hand elbow. Put it together and glue it.

Reply to
trader_4

or maybe use a miter box ?

Reply to
Retired

The left hand elbow had the original pipe glued into it when the OP started this whole shenanigan. He sawed through that pipe right at that elbow, so the glued in length of that pipe was left in the elbow.

If I'm wrong about that tell me why and I'll apologize.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Trader,

Look at Rebel's 1st or 2nd pictures. Both pipes end in 90 deg fittings. The assemblies have been glued, I think. The left fitting does not align well with the p-trap. The pipe that is glued into the 90 deg fitting must be shortened and should not be glued until the OP is satisfied with the alignment. Hope this makes sense.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I knew you would be lost without my expertise! ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway