Kitchen sink - Kohler or American Std?

I'm putting in a new kitchen sink. I think I've narrowed choices down to Kohler or Amer Std. The Kohler sinks are cast iron with enamel. The American Std are "Americast", which appears to be the SPAM of metals, and is their replacement for cast iron. It's supposed to be enamel on steel together with a composite backing, weighes less, less exp, etc.

My conclusion at this point is the look of the Kohler is much better, at least as viewed in the stores and I'm probably going to go with that in white. The finish has a richer, deeper, authentic look to it. Just wondering if others have any actual experience with durability, chipping, scratch resistance, staining, etc of Kohler vs Americast?

Also, I still trying to decide between a large single bowl sink and one with two bowls, one about 2/3 the other 1/3 in size. The sink is

33X22, and I have a garbage disposal and dishwasher. I know this is basicly personal preference, but if anyone has any strong opinions one way or the other, I'd be interested in hearing.
Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: /snip/

Can't comment on the finish, but I have a two-bowl sink and I love the larger bowl. You can put large pots in it and completely submerse them. Also can be used with a rack insert to dry dishes. Note: if you decide to use the drying rack make sure you put the disposal on the OTHER side.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Snip

We went through the same thing and an employee who had the Amer Std said that his chipped right away. I had my Kohler ..white, two bowls, one for the disposal the other for dishes unless I have lots of dishes. Still brand new.. sometimes I have to clean the black marks which comes out easily with soft cleaner. I love it.

Reply to
Didi

I like the small/large split sinks. I also went for the deep sinks. Pain in the ass to connect but sure was nice for soaking pans.

Reply to
SQLit

I have a split Kohler about 9 inches deep. Have it about 7 years now. No chips and finish cleans up well with Fantastic and those plastic scrubbers.

I wonder if people who don't use dishwashers have most of the sink chip problems. We use our dishwasher and are probably relatively easy on the sink.

Reply to
Art

Previous owners of the house we've been in now for 6 years put in a double bowl, deep Amercast.

Can't stand it!!! Chips, scratches and we're extra delicate with it. Just wife & I - no kids. I couldn't imagine what would happen with kids.

I love the deep - 2 bowls though. We are replacing counters and sinks very soon and are going to go for high quality stainless.

Reply to
Davma

Several years ago I purchased and properly installed an americast sink. We started having rust problems almost immediately. American Standard would do nothing about it.

Never again!

Reply to
NoSpam99989

I have the Kohler that they show in the TV commercial with the lady who doesn't want to use it. I use/abuse the hell out of mine and it is holding up fine. The sound deadening is good so it doesn't "ring" when you drop a glass or fork in it. The alloy has enough chrome in it so it doesn't rust.

Reply to
Greg