Kitchen sink garbage disposal dry

Page 1 of 2
How long can kitchen garbage disposals things run dry? Are they ALWAYS supposed to have water every second they're running?
Pat Dixon wrote:

Why would you want to run it dry ? Unless it's just to test ...
--
Snag

Terry Coombs wrote:

I just want to know how to use it. I moved to a new apartment, which has a garbage disposal. I've never had one before.
I don't know if it's critical that water always be run. Or if it's just recommended. Or if it doesn't matter in the least.
I just want to know how to use it.

Always helps to give this kind of background info.
Don't drop things like spoons in there, they'll come flying back out pretty fast.
If it gets jammed, there is a place to put an allen wrench in the bottom to turn it by hand.
You can look into it to see things like dropped jewelry. People with small hands can reach a couple of fingers in there. That's safe as long as you don't turn it on. Otherwise use some implement.
Only put things in there that can be chopped up easily. (Walnut shells are too hard, paper is no good.)
Some people complain about smell. Never had that problem, just rinse after using.
Otherwise I find mine is a time saver and makes clean up quick.
Enjoy.
--
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote:

And you're probably tossing a good bit of organic stuff that would be much better off in a compost heap . Do you garden ?
--
Snag

On 6/12/2016 5:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Not many apartments have room for a compost pile and garden. Possible though.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Aw geez , I forget not everyone is blessed enough to live in a clearing out in the woods . We're not goingto use a disposer , that stuff all goes to the chickens or the compost heap . Looks like the bees are going to give us around 10-12 gallons of honey this year ...
--
Snag

On 6/12/2016 8:51 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Damn, how many bees do you have? Mead sounds good though.
Oren wrote:

From what you imply, I'm going to guess there's nothing wrong with running it either way, with or without water. Is that what you mean?
What you implied was that it's "better" with water, but that it's OK to run it without water too.
Did I understand you?
On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 11:39:37 AM UTC-7, Pat Dixon wrote:

i think you may think that the water is a lubricant...?
the disposer has a sealed lubricant
i think the water is simply to help move the waste through the pipes, and it also helps some cooling the disposer which eventually would get too hot if run too long dry, i think
marc
marc
21blackswan wrote:

I was thinking that!
Thanks for making it clear that the water isn't to be a lube but to prevent the pipes from clogging.
On 6/12/2016 1:57 PM, Pat Dixon wrote:

Run water when it is running and for a minute after grinding a lot of stuff. Works best with a mix of things hard and soft
Avoid large amounts of coffee grinds. Avoid things like corn husks, corn cobs, banana peels, big bones, bacon grease and the like.

This is a good newsgroup, but you'll have to drop a dozen or so goofball posters in the disposal.
You might call the maker of the disposal and ask the person who does maintenance at the apartment. They will probably also have other tips also.
Myself, I generally wipe all dishes with a paper towel and put it in the trash can before anything goes in the sink or dishwasher, especially meat, oil and grease. The more I can keep out of the drain pipes the longer before they need rooted out. Hardly ever need the disposal any more, but I still run it at least once a week for about 30 seconds, alternating hot & cold water with dish detergent.
I have heard all kinds of stories about running it with ice, orange peels, etc., but my own personal opinion is just use water and detergent unless the maker has other recommendations.
About use life -- I installed our about 20 years ago and it never had a problem until about a month ago, when it had not be turned on for a long time, and wouldn't start turning. I felt around inside and couldn't find any thing jamming it. The allen wrench at the bottom was not strong enough to turn it. , so I used a 1/2-inch wooden dowel to turn lever it loose (with power off). Then turned it on and flush with water & detergent. This happened again about a week or so later. Probably means it needs to be taken apart or replaced.
writes:

My first one was an Insinkerator installed by a contractor. It rusted out in a year or two.
When I bought the replacement I found that the lowest priced models are not really built to last. I bought a higher end Insinkerator and I found it comes with a lifetime guarantee, to installed by the company at their expense. Needless to say, it's still running, and I expect it to never quit.
--
Dan Espen

My old landlord owned/maintained several rental properties. He claimed it was cheaper to install the cheapest hardware (disposal, wall htr, window AC, etc) and replace 'em as needed, rahter than to buy quality. I didn't necessarily agree with him, but he always was Johnny-on-the-spot with those cheapo replacements.

Excellent tip.
I know it's a good tip, cuz I don't even have a sink disposal, anymore. Plus, paper towels are a replentishable. ;)
nb
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 12:15:40 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:

yeah,
i don't like to put much of anything down the drain
coffee grounds go in the garden, and most other food waste goes in the trash can
marc

They are neither cooled nor lubricated by water. Running dry only wastes electricity.
--
Dan Espen

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 11:57:55 AM UTC-4, net cop wrote:

I agree, probably true indefinitely, but certainly true for any occasional running for 30 secs or whatever. Unless of course you're feeding it stuff at the same time, in which case you'll clog the pipes. THAT is probably the reason for the caution about always having the water running.
Dan Espen wrote:

I'm sorry that I don't understand those two sentences in series. I understand each one alone.
1. The first sentence says you don't need to even use water. 2. The second sentence implies you need water.
Can you clarify for me?

Apparently, not.

No, it does not. It sez a disposal "neither/nor" (someone who knows grammer!) needs "water" for "cooling" or "lubrication", which is true. A disposal needs water to flush whatever gets thrown into it.

Again, no, it does not! It sez, clearly, that running a disposal dry "wastes electricity". No implication about it! If water is not running, garbage is not being flushed down the drain, so running the disposal "dry" is a waste of electricity. What don't you get?

Can we wait until yer brain has fully matured? ;)
nb