Kitchen sink faucet diverter problems

My kitchen sink has a single lever (cartridge type?) faucet by Moen, with a sprayer. When I turn on the water (with the lever at any temperature position) there are loud thumping noises as the water flow increases. The thumping coincides with the sprayer vibrating. This all happens when I am not using the sprayer.

I suspect that sprayer diverter valve has gone south and needs cleaning/replacing. How do I get to the diverter? Unfortunately I cannot find the faucet model number. Thanks!

Reply to
Melissa Wright

I agree, sounds like diverter. Moen used a couple of different designs. To get to it, the entire spout has to be removed.

You might check their site to see if there is info. Most models have excellent warranty service where they will send you the part.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Speedy Jim. I did check that website and it offers information about replacing the cartridge, but couldn't find any information on moen.com about the diverter. It's just a basic one handle kitchen sink faucet, nothing special about it. Underneath the faucet top it says "Caution use only #1225 Cartridge." I took it apart and removed the spout but didn't see anything that looked like a diverter, although I didn't go as far as removing the cartridge. I called up the Moen cust service number and provided the numbers engraved on the back of the spout to the rep. She apparently couldn't find specific information for this model (no longer made) and said that the whole faucet probably has to be replaced to fix the diverter. :(

Reply to
Melissa Wright

Bummer. If you're not in the mood to replace the faucet ask at HD or a hdwr store for diverter parts they have for your model.

Or:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim