Kitchen Sink Clogging - Garbage Disposal

My kitchen sink has a 15 year old Kitchenaid garbage disposal unit. Recently the drain pipe below has been plugging with ground vegetable matter almost daily. The sinks drain into 2" (od) PVC, which in turn drain into a 2-1/4" cast iron pipe. The clog seems to be in the same place in the iron pipe, although there is not seam, joint or bend that would make this a suspicious location.
Could my problem be the disposal unit, i.e. it's getting old and doesn't properly shred the material, leading to the clogs?
Why the clog happens at the same location in a straight section of pipe s]is beyond me.
Right now my plan is to cut out the iron pipe and replace it with PVC in the hopes that there is something inside the pipe causing the clogs.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Ian
On 5/27/2012 6:19 AM, Ian wrote:

the drain pipe below has been plugging with ground vegetable matter almost daily. The sinks drain into 2" (od) PVC, which in turn drain into a 2-1/4" cast iron pipe. The clog seems to be in the same place in the iron pipe, although there is not seam, joint or bend that would make this a suspicious location.

Don't put uncooked vegetable matter down the disposal. How is the drain vent?

the drain pipe below has been plugging with ground vegetable matter almost daily. The sinks drain into 2" (od) PVC, which in turn drain into a 2-1/4" cast iron pipe. The clog seems to be in the same place in the iron pipe, although there is not seam, joint or bend that would make this a suspicious location.

I have to wonder if the iron pipe is rusting and catching the solids somehow. How are you clearing hatter pipe? A snake would open it, but not get rid of the actual cause if corrosion is closing down the diameter.

How much stuff are you feeding into the disposal at a time ?
How long are you letting it run after you grind up the food waste before shutting it off ?
You could be using it wrong and causing part of the problem...
On Sunday, May 27, 2012 12:19:00 AM UTC-10, Ian wrote:

That grinder will need replacing soon anyway, so go ahead. I hope you don't have to disassemble the pipe for every clog... I posted a miracle fix for using a plunger on disposal sinks. If you have a dishwasher connection that breaks the suction, you can whittle a cork to fit in there and make the plunger work like magic.