kitchen refacing

Hi I have many years old formica-covered kitchen cabinets and as old countertop. Everything is 100 functional but.. aestetically challenging. I'm planning to sell the house. My options are (please correct me if I am wrong).

  1. Replace this kitchen with new one (Ikea?). Not exactly within my budget.
  2. Repaint it. I doubt it may be done in decent manner.
  3. Have it professionally refaced.

I am leaning toward #3. Here are the questions for experts.

  1. What am I looking at $$-wise? Ball park. I want nothing fancy, the kitchen cabinets are ~14' total length. Laminate countertop.
  2. Can anybody recommend cabinets-refinishing company in Boston, MA (USA) area? Thank you! Michael You can reply directly to: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com. Make sure to remove 5423
Reply to
Michael

I'm in UK but we had refaced and new granite tops: see

for worksurfaces

Reply to
Main Man

If you're selling the house I believe you won't see a return on this investment. I believe kitchens, bath, and siding are close in that the property value increases approximately the same as the renovation cost, but usually you're better off just asking less on the price. Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
Zu

I'm with Zu.

Leave it as-is, ask correspondingly less for the house, and let the new owners modify it to suit themselves.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Leave it as-is, ask correspondingly less for the house, and let the new

having sold a home recently this is BAD advice, most home buyers demand homes in move in condition, only 10% will consider a home needing work.

Refacing can be expensive:( Often more than new low end kitchen from Lowes. Their craft maid line is excellent and really affordable, probably less $ than refacing!

We did this on the home we sold recently.

Incidently by nature folks here are DIY but sadly most home buyers dont want the mess and expense and hassle of installing a new kiltchen.

home buyers tend to spend their last dime buying the most expensive home they can afford, leaving nothing for remodeling.

kitchens and baths if done affordably can help you sell easier for more bucks. keep things in neutral light colors thruout your home

Reply to
hallerb

Here is a calculator that shows you are pretty much correct, although if he doesn't have anything better to do with his time and does the work himself, he might come out a little further ahead:

The place might sell faster with a nicer looking kitchen.

Reply to
Karl S

call kitchen tune-up

5423 |
Reply to
jart ames

call kitchen tune-up

5423 |
Reply to
jart ames

Depends very much on the market. Here in the northeast, people more often buy for the long term, and expect to be doing work on the house to suit themselves. The Texas market, where my father used to sell real estate, had more short-term buyers who not only wanted move-in, but neutral carpets, etc. to just plug their furniture in. Doing that up here would be a waste. They wanna know how new the furnace and roof is.

Furthermore, from the POV of a house *buyer*, given an evident repair, it's much better to lower the price and do the fix yourself.

So it really depends.

In fact, I sometimes suspect that advice like this, and all the fix-to-sell homeshows, are more geared to crank up consumption of housing goods. Cheep stuff gets put in, then ripped out.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong in your particular market and/or with the particular buyers you know or work with.

Banty

Reply to
Banty