Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ?

Page 8 of 9

snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.com(Phil) wrote:

HI again, original poster here. Thanks for all of the feedback. I had been thinking about switching to electric range so that I could get a smooth cooktop range. A lot of the foods we cook splatter grease over the top of the stove and it is a task to clean that up. A smooth surface would'a been easier to clean.
Anyway, money is tight, so calling in a electrician is out of the question. I'm going to surf over to the Repairclinic.com web site and see if I can figure out what is broken and whether or not it is a cost effective repair.
Phil

Many people like the smooth tops, others hat them. Newer gas ranges have sealed burners for easier cleaning also.

Good idea.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've cooked on a few of them and they have their good and bad points.
The smooth tops are somewhat easier to clean if you clean them as soon as something spills, before it has time to bake on, i.e. no waiting for the top to fully cool, and interrupting cooking to clean if you have to continue to use that burner position for a while. Since the top is smooth, instead of spills dripping into a recessed drip pan area somewhat away from the heat source, the spills just get solidly baked on, and if you let them bake on they are difficult to remove without scratching the surface.
One advantage of the smooth top is that you can slide a pan "off the burner" to the side without it tipping or spilling and you can position it anywhere on the cooktop.
Another advantage is that the smooth top provides additional counter / workspace for small kitchens, similar to how RV stoves have covers to serve the same function.
There aren't any big negatives to them really, they don't seem to have as high output as good conventional electric or gas ranges, but they are sufficient for most things. Not so good with a wok, even a flat bottom wok, probably not very good with one of the double burner cast iron griddle pans either.
Pete C. wrote:

Still, you can't singe off the pin-feathers of a freshly-plucked chicken on an electric range. Or toast either a weiner or a marshmallow.
Bummer.

My gas stovetop is covered with grates. I can slide a pan anywhere on it.
Cindy Hamilton

And take the grates off to clean them. . . and use any pot you like on them. . . . and drop a pot on them without them shattering. . . and see when the burner is on. . . .
I like my gas stove, too.
Jim
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

I love mine! Then again, one thing I note is rarely do folks who really get into cooking, like glass tops. It could be the favored pan that just does the perfect crepes or anything else. I gather glasstops don't get as hot (may be better now). My new gas range has a sliding heat scale so there is no 'number' you are stuck with. Much more versatile.
I actually turned down a house on sight when we were buying over it's kitchen. The kitchen was *horrible* to a real cook. They'd 'tried to spiffy it'. Half the cabinets were clear glass faced so you saw inside (they had cute little arty displays of pretty gourmet jars sprinkled about). The countertop was granite (hate that stuff). The oven was one of those cute little in-wall things and might have been 20 inches wide. The range was glass. Badly needed pot storage was removed to provide a built in wine cooler, a trash compactor, and a bin that they said was for potatoes? (Dunno, flipped out and you'd never want to use it for trash as cleaning would be a nightmare). I just took one look at the realtor and told him I have 47 falling apart from heavy-use cook books and to move to the next one please. The owner was a little weirded out that I had wanted to see the kitchen first, then walked out.
hehehe case of SWMBO.

Kitchens are ALWAYS the deal breaker, at least for me. I can live with a lot, but not a non-foody kitchen.

My kitchen is decidely non-foody, but when we bought the house we figured we could add on. Doesn't look like that'll be possible anymore.
Still, I've cooked meals on everything from a two-burner hot plate, to a campfire, to a big commercial stove. My 81-square-foot kitchen may be crowded, but it gets the job done.
Cindy Hamilton
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote "h" wrote:

Same here on cooking, but I don't want to daily have to do that. Current kitchen is NOT perfect but it's workable.
Best small kitchen, Hawaii. Oven right across from the fridge was the only real problem (couldn't open both at the same time but there was 2 inches clearance for both to fully open if the other was shut). Small but very usable.
Smallest, made it work, Cho apartment in Japan. Fridge about 5ft tall and thin, Oven 20 inch. Counter space was 6 inches at one side of sink, and just enough for a small dish drain on the other. Had a tea cart for appliances and another for the computer station. 'Living room' had the china cabinet.
"h" wrote

Same here. What was amusing to *me* was the owner was so proud of her unsuable kitchen remodel. She even had before and after pictures sitting out. The before remodel kitchen was perfect for a real cook. The after set wasn't useful to do more than nuke pre-made TV dinners. Highly suspect it was so spotless, because it had never been used. LOL!
"h" wrote

Same here. What was amusing to *me* was the owner was so proud of her unsuable kitchen remodel. She even had before and after pictures sitting out. The before remodel kitchen was perfect for a real cook. The after set wasn't useful to do more than nuke pre-made TV dinners. Highly suspect it was so spotless, because it had never been used. LOL!

I don't understand the fascination with glass doors. Our cabinets are stuffed full with "stuff" and very utilitarian. Do you want to see all my mismatched cups and glasses? Or the one with every spice imaginable in every type of container imaginable?

You did the right thing.
wrote

Oh, yeah.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For those of us of a certain age who can't remember where we put it...
Or the name of the person into whom we put it...
Or what to do with it once we discover where we put it...
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Hehehe same here. My china cabinet had solid doors too.

I did stay long enough to poke about a little to see if it could be made functional (was being sold with all appliances as is so checked them). The house did sell in a month, but to a mostly non-cook. I know because it's down the street from me and have seen the rest now. I'm much happier with the one I got (for much less money) and they are jealous as mine is bigger and nicer.
Kitchen not perfect (counterspace and pot storage issues) but it can be fixed and is quite usable as it is. Plotting a kitchen re-do eventually.

Why do you hate granite? SWMBO loves the granite tops all though the house. She particularly loves the granite topped island. I do too. It makes great cookies. ;-)

Yep. One of he houses I liked (*huge* unfinished basement) was vetoed because of the kitchen. It had a stove and a sink; looked fine to me. ;-)
"keith" wrote "cshenk" wrote:

Don't like it. I dont like the looks, the care, and the shatter of a glass item if you hit it just wrong. They have other issues but those are mine. To me, a granite countertop is a detraction of house value.

Hehehe. Hope you got a basement in the one you picked!

Many a crappy house has been sold because of it. Poor insulation, cheap construction, inefficient heating system, but then . . . . "Honey, look at the nice granite counter tops in my favorite color. Can we buy it?"

There are so many types of granite this seems weird. Glass is going to shatter if dropped on any solid surface. Different strokes, I suppose. SWMBO wouldn't have anything else (well, maybe quartz).

Nope. There was only one house with a basement that met our other criteria ("new" and within the price range). In truth, it had some other "issues", like a 20' retaining wall down to a creek and some pretty nasty mowing down to it.