Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ?

Page 2 of 9

Well, that's cookin'.
On Sat, 15 May 2010 08:33:25 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

I asked about that here and the consensus was that it would be a lot more expensive, so since that part of my reply didn't really relate to the OP, I left it out.
wrote

We're about to install a dual fuel range with propane for the cooktop and our existing 240v for the electric oven. Personally, I find gas ovens to provide very uneven heating, but it's the best for burners, hence the dual fuel.

Depends on the stove. Most have been improved and heat well compared to many years ago.

I never compared cost. I prefer gas and that was a priority over cost. I did just get filled and the cost was $185 over six months. In electricity, that would have translated to about $135 so yes, I'm paying a bit more. Worth it to us.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'll second that. This place came with a near-new electric in good condition, otherwise I would serious consider installing a gas stove. There is a gas feed available very close by in the basement ceiling, so it would be a trivial install job for a licensed pipefitter. If I actually used the stove more than once every few months (I live alone, so seldom cook 'real' meals), I'd be tempted do it anyway.
--
aem sends...

We bought a new house 18 months ago and will likely replace the basic (read: contractors) stove by the end of the year (just upgraded the refrigerator, and the dishwasher last year). We put in gas logs this spring but the LP tank is at the opposite end of the house, so it'll cost about $1K to bring the pipe around the house to the kitchen. It still looks like the way to go.

A thousand dollars to bring pipe to the other end of the house? Where do you live? I am in North Carolina and to run black pipe one end to the other is about 150 to 300 (depends a lot on the company used) and copper tubing about the same depending on the price of copper at the time.
Chris

That's what the gas company quoted. It's at least 100' of pipe. Of course it has to be buried.
There are 2 types of self cleaning ovens.
The first a continious cleaning catalytic coating that works poorly. The spills kinda absorb into the coating. which discolors
The good system which I have seals the oven for your safety and raises the interior temp to over 1100 degrees F, cycle takes a few hours
It literally burns off and spills, and when thru leaves a light grey ash thats easily just wiped up

Agreed. Wouldn't have one.

Yep, I didn't know a gas oven would get hot enough (venting lost too much heat). I'll have to look again, though see no disadvantage to "dual fuel". We're still thinking about whether plumbing in LP is worthwhile (we just had the tank put in at the other end of the house).

One thousand dollars to run a gas line? Is your house a couple thousand feet long, or are they using gold pipe?
A couple friends of mine, the parents and child traded stoves. I ran a gas line for the parents, and electric for the kids. they were both happy. I have gas, and would never want an electric. My gas stove helps heat when the power is off.
As to install electric stove. It will need a larger wire, and a large double breaker (double 50 typically) and a socket to match the range that's coming in. As the OP is asking questions, the OP aparently isn't familiar with all these details. And should call in handyman or electrician.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

*You would need a new 40 or 50 amp circuit run from your electrical panel according to the stove specifications. Depending on the location of your panel, this may entail cutting holes in ceilings and walls. An electrical permit may be required. You will probably pay more for cooking with electric and be less satisfied with the stove.

Yes; and the electrical panel must have the space and electrical capacity (size) to supply the amount of current needed. There is alot more to it than just 'converting an outlet'!
Also have to agree with the comment that if a person has to ask, that they need someonen knowledgeable (an electrician etc.) to look over the situation professionally and advise.
Not familiar with them but an existing gas stove (in North America) is likely to to need a low amperage 120 volt supply, to operate, say an oven light and or igniters. Even at 14 years that is not that old; the used electric stove am using now is at least that old. There is no NG here only bottled/delivered propane, which is expensive
The problem (for somebody knowledgeable) may be a simple repair! With parts perhaps $25 to $100????? Could be a lot cheaper than new wiring, for $200 to perhaps a $1000 (just guesses!)., A new electric stove? Perhaps $600? Although good used electric stoves often be found for $100 to $150!
On May 14, 11:18pm, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.com(Phil) wrote:

Ng is Half the price of electric for most of the US now, no resteruant uses electric because of cost to run and controll of heat gas gives, you will need new wire run, but maybe its something simple to fix like the wire shorted open it and look see.

Most of the US doesn't have NG. LP can be more expensive than electricity, so saving money isn't always a sufficient reason to go with gas.

The OP has natural gas already installed.

I was replying to, "Ng is Half the price of electric for most of the US now". NG is not available in most of the US, at any price, now.

I might believe you if you mean by area, but not if you mean by population. I'm not aware of any densely-populated areas (at least in the eastern half of US) that do not have NG available in the street. I'm in a semi-rural area several miles from city limits, no water or sewer, but every house has a gas meter. At least in this part of country, people only have to use bottle gas if they live WAY out in the boonies, where there were not enough houses per mile to make running the gas line profitable.
--
aem sends...