Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ?

Page 1 of 9

HI:
While cooking dinner tonight our 14 year old gas range made a sudden, LOUD, **Crack** Bang ** sound like a light bulb exploding. Looking it over it seems that something electrical is fried- the clock is dead, and the gas igniters won't work.
I'm thinking of replacing the gas range with an electric model. Our home (1973) has always had a gas range. I'm guessing/assuming that the electric supply to the stove is just 120v, and that a new electric model requires 240v? My question is if I want to go electric would I need to call in an electrician to convert the outlet? What's involved?
Thanks, Phil
Phil wrote:

Unless the house was built with 240V wiring to the range, you will need a new wire installed.

You cannot convert the existing receptacle. A new line must be run to carry the load, probably #6 or #8 wire and a proper sized breaker. If you have to ask, you don't have the skills, so yes, an electrician is needed.
Don't be so quick to convert. Serious cooks usually prefer gas to electric and would consider this a downgrade. When we moved to th is house it had electric and we hated it. YMMV though.
On Sat, 15 May 2010 00:45:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

I don't like electric, because it doesn't seem hot enough to broil well, and with a flame, it's easy to tell how hot it is. Plus the burner cools off quickly when the gas is turned off, compared to an electric burner.
But I can't change because there is no gas in the n'hood.

Sure you can. Propane. I've been using it for 20+ years now.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ideally you want a dual fuel range, or separate gas cooktop and electric oven. Electric ovens are superior to gas ovens and have better controls. Not sure on the broil comment, but the broil elements in the electric ovens of my dual fuel range get plenty hot. Possibly mm used a crappy electric oven or one that had an inadequate power supply. The 5 burners on my dual fuel range are LP and work great.

That's the way we're leaning, even though it'll cost an extra grand to bring the gas line around from the tank. Electric ovens also commonly have the self-cleaning feature. I don't believe gas gets hot enough.
On May 15, 11:04�am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

My gas self cleaning oven burns the spills off GREAT at over 1100 degrees, its well insulated too. Just wipe the grey ash off when done:)
I have put gas grill and other parts in there too, for cleaning. Its very convenient:)

Just on the this subject of electricity versus gas, cooking, etc. There is a tendency for people to think 'coal' when speaking of electricity.
But not here. We live in a part of Canada that in more recent years has been involved in Atlantic deep water oil and gas production. And of course the oil and gas is a finite supply and will have a finite 'end of life'. Maybe around 2050 although nobody really knows!
But this area has for many years and is also developing additional, a large supply of hydro electrcity, from the existing Churchill Falls and the proposed Lower Churchill project in Labrador to be cabled through New England.
Consequently for the last 40 years or so this area has used electrcity as the primary fuel and it is also exported to other parts of Canada and the USA. New construction is 99% plus, all electric, with all its conveniences, safety and low maintenance.
So when considering electricity, especially in the north east of the NA continent, remember a plentiful and relatively low cost supply and low pollution, no more than a 1000 miles to the north, from a friendly country!
wrote

What is relatively low cost? Here in Jersey, I was charged on my April bill US$80 for 90 "total therms" of natural gas. And US$58 for 312 kWH of electicity usage (plus US$6 for using "green" electricity). Somewhere I read that you have to multiply gas therms by 30 to get kWh. That means that my gas usage of 90 therms is equivalent to 2700 kWh. That 2700 kWh would have cost about 2700x0.178=US$178 (I am just using the per kWh cost of electricity and distribution, not the service charge or the green charge). Therefore here in Jersey, natural gas is half the price of electricity. And I do believe that we get some of your cheap Canadian electricity down here. What is your cost of electricity?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Wow, I pay 0.098 per kwh, close to half of what you pay. Plus that is my entire bill. No added extras, no taxes, no nothin'. Just 0.098 per kwh. Around here LPG is only a little cheaper then electric resistive heating, maybe 10%. I don't think there is natural gas down in the city. If I get a heat pump I'll save a lot over the winter, or I'll stop being a miser and just have the house warmer for the same price.

I live outside of a Toronto suburb, and the electricity here is generated mostly by nuclear power with coal and wind backups. In Canada the word "hydro" means electricity in general, not just hydro-electric.
Here is the full rate sheet that I pay. We have to pay for the utility's debts and transmission charges in addition to the kwhr usage charge. Normally it's .058 per kwhr CDN dollars.
http://www.haltonhillshydro.com/PDFs/ELECTRICITY-UPDATE_1955F5D.pdf
For the last two months my electricity was $128.35 for 1019 kwhr. I paid 62.05 for actual electricity and $66.30 for all the fees and utility debts and delivery charges.

That seems more than what I pay here in Bergen county, NJ for the equivalent in natural gas. For 90 therms (2700 kWH equivalent) I paid US $80
--
Best regards
Han

Oh, yes it does. You can get self-cleaning gas ovens too.
On Sat, 15 May 2010 15:30:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Didn't know that. Thanks. The only one's I've seen that claim to, don't.

They do make them in gas. Our old one was.
Bertazzoni is using electric for self cleaning though http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com /
Ours is black and they are painted in the same shop as Lamborghini cars.

No dealers. We've pretty much settled on Electrolux to match the dishwasher and 'fridge.

SWMBO demands stainless.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So does it cook really fast?
Bob F wrote: