KITCHEN PANTRY and new Cabinets????

We just purchased a whole set of Cardell cabinets for our kitchen and we're going to be doing the prep and installation ourselves. We opted to "not" but the pantry unit from them as the cost put it well over our limited budget. Instead we're going to make a framed in drywalled pantry to mate up to the end of the cabinets which works out better as there is a bedroom door at the end and this will add privacy to the bedroom entrance when completed.

The question we have is the cabinets on the wall with the pantry will be fitted between an existing wall and the new wall of the new pantry. We didn't want to add a filler piece as this would take away from the balance of the cabinets. The base units we're not concerned with as the fridge is on one end and the space for the fridge can accomodate any slight variations in width. The issue is with the wall cabinets as they are solid between the existing and new wall.

We're debating on building the pantry first and "hoping" we got the dimensions correct or installing the wall cabinets and then building up against them. We're worried having the cabinet up we won't be able to properly finish that side of the pantry wall or we may accidentally damage the last cabinet. We'd rather have all the walls finished before mounting the cabinets. We also thought about building the wall and possibly the whole pantry and not attaching it to the back wall until we have the cabinets delivered and then work out the exact measurement (or mount them and then take that last unit down).

We're kind of new to this so we're totally open to suggestions not just for the pantry wall but for building the pantry itself.

Thanks!!!

Reply to
infiniteMPG

infiniteMPG wrote: ...

Build the pantry first, yes. It shouldn't be difficult to position within an 1/8" or so of where it needs to be--you'll want the actual dimensions of the cabinets, of course, which as pre-built will be precise as given by the manufacturer. You'll also want to check the existing wall is plumb and approximately straight to know what you need for clearance.

Cabinets will have a flange on the side to allow for scribing to the wall for small variation, or for a simpler job for DIY, plan on a narrow filler or a corner mould at each end so they are centered.

--

Reply to
dpb

hin an 1/8" or so of where it needs to be--you'll want the actual dimension= s of the cabinets, of course, which as pre-built will be precise as given b= y the manufacturer. =A0

Should we just request the cabinet dimensions from the manufacturer or wait until they arrive and measure them ourselves?

raight to know what you need for clearance.

Didn't think about that, thanks!

for small variation, or for a simpler job for DIY, plan on a narrow filler= or a corner mould at each end so they are centered.

We did purchase a touch up kit so we can hopefully have enough stain to match any filler piece. The cabinets are not going to the ceiling, should we leave the pantry shy of the ceiling, too, or make that floor to ceiling? We don't have a really high ceiling but we were too tight to make the cabinets work out. We did order top molding to mount around the cabinets.

Reply to
infiniteMPG

ithin an 1/8" or so of where it needs to be--you'll want the actual dimensi= ons of the cabinets, of course, which as pre-built will be precise as given= by the manufacturer. =A0

straight to know what you need for clearance.

ll for small variation, or for a simpler job for DIY, plan on a narrow fill= er or a corner mould at each end so they are centered.

I would wait until the cabinets arrive and put them in, all except the last cabinet next to the new pantry wall. Then measure carefully and put the wall up, then the last cabinet. I would put the pantry up to the ceiling, just for the extra storage space for seldom-used things. Try some cardboard boxes to simulate what it would look like up to the cabinet height and then all the way up to the ceiling if you have doubts about the appearance. You can put some flatish trim up on the ceiling and sides above the front edge of the cabinets to sort of frame-in the open space above the cabinets, and then put some "things" in the space to decorate it a little bit. I did that in my condo unit and was surprised at how it actually improves the look of the space that otherwise just sits there.

Reply to
hrhofmann

t cabinet next to the new pantry wall. =A0Then measure carefully and put the= wall up, then the last cabinet. =A0

I think I like that plan as even if the manufacturer's dimensions were dead on and I was 1/16" short the last cabinet would be a mess to put in.

for seldom-used things.

True. And once I sit back and think about it, the pantry becomes part of the house and the cabinets are replacable. If the pantry didn't go all the way up to the ceiling it would look like an add-on and also if the next cabinets went all the way up the pantry would just look silly.

inet height and then all the way up to the ceiling if you have doubts about = the appearance. =A0

Good idea because we're already wondering how far to have the pantry stick out into the room. That would solve that.

edge of the cabinets to sort of frame-in the open space above the cabinets,= and then put some "things" in the space to decorate it a little bit. =A0I d= id that in my condo unit and was surprised at how it actually improves the l= ook of the space that otherwise just sits there.

Already done! :O) We ordered matching molding (the cabinet doors have a rope wood pattern and the molding has it, too) to go around the tops of the cabinets and smaller molding as light kits to go around the bottom.

THANKS!!

Reply to
infiniteMPG