Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

Page 5 of 9
DerbyDad03 wrote:

We had an 'Afro Engineer' at the AFRTS TV station in Alaska. Anything he touched turned to crap, and the only thing he was good at was drinking his month's pay in under a week.

I've improvised & made parts that weren't available. That includes a TV tuner for a piece of broadcast equipment. The only tools I had were a few hand tools and a soldering iron.
It really hit the fan when someone told one of the Army cooks that they were renaming the mess hall to 'Ptomaine Hall'. ;-)
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:29:33 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Michigan Tech (Soo) has the cafeteria named Alfred Packer Memorial Cafeteria
(UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Jerry had to improvise even when they were winning the war. They had this problem that the demand for material (trucks, tanks, guns, etc) meant they couldn't take a captured factory off-line to retool to a standard "type". Plus they had a lot of captured items (tanks, transports, etc) that they pressed into service because it worked. Imagine having to keep parts on hand for trucks made in Germany, France, Czechoslovakia, Russia and England/The US?
    It is a wonder they lasted as long as they did.
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 03:29:36 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Nah, it's not an issue of PC. Regard for the Poles has climbed steadily with the descent of Western Europe, particularly France and the UK, into thirdworldism.

Hmm, White Trash Month and Black History Month all at once? Oh, the irony!

WT had it first going all the way back to their Cavebilly ancestors. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Some of those caves were made from stone beer bottles. ;-)

When I was a kid and my parents had company, I tended to sit with the men. One, especially, who was born 1904 in Norway, whose mother operated a lighthouse there...had the best stories. He could make the telling of cleaning a fish highly interesting. He lived a long life and he and his wife were the best friends a person could hope for...they had a special gift for making one feel special when with them, would do anything they could for a friend but sure didn't suffer fools. They could be gutting and remodeling their home, which they did several times, and yet have company for dinner and not have a spec of dust anywhere. In later years, both had severe health issues but did together what neither could do alone.
I discovered in the early days of working in nursing homes that old folks had awesome stories and rarely were unappreciative of the care I gave....those who were unappreciative needed more :o)
On 2/23/2013 5:02 AM, Norminn wrote:

Me and JH do work on telecom, network and other low voltage systems for a chain of nursing homes and we were in one a two hour drive away last Wednesday and Thursday. We were both in a lot of pain and I couldn't climb up in the attic to pull wire so I was down in the hall handling the 10 foot ladder going from access hatch to access hatch. I was having some chest pains the first day and of course every joint was hurting so bad I had 90 year olds in walkers come up to me and ask if I was OK. Me and JH have been looking for a young sober guy about 50 years old to help us pull wire. ^_^
TDD

LOL! You are correct! I just bought a 900W microwave from Walmart [made in China] for around $46. I have not had to clean the buttons yet, because ...yes, the plastic coating has deteriorated and looks like I ran a soldering iron over them.At first, I thought this was a protective plastic sheet that I had neglected to remove and was supposed to be removed. Guess not.
Robert Macy wrote:

What did you expect for $46? Membrane switches won't take abuse, and that includes constantly poking them with sharp fingernails or a utensil.
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:32:12 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Truly amazing, isn't it? These moron lefties want their $46 microwave but want it hand made in the USA by union thugs, making $50/hr.

He's pretty dull, though.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

That's the type that doesn't notice the damage till it's too late. Hell, a GOOD US made membrane switch would sell for more than $30 in quantities of 5,000 or less.
Being who I am, I am replacing the switches in a wireless mouse. I can't find another model that doesn't bother my Carpal Tunnel, and Logitech has used the same switches for over a decade. Not that I think most people could replace one on a double sided, board with PTH.
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:40:16 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Which reminds me...I picked up a microwave last week from a Scratch and dent store for $20. Kenmore product, current model. I fired it up before buying it and it worked well. Got it home..fired it up..and it ran for about 30 seconds and then it puffed out some smoke and died.
So I popped it open and found a thermostat secured to the top of the cooking chamber that had literally melted down. Bypassed it..and it works fine. I suspect its a safety that senses if the chamber gets too hot because of fire or other extreme temperature. Simple open/close device that had for some reason..melted. Wires were fine, plastic on the connectors was not melted and there were black smoke smudges on the inside of the cover. No idea of why it melted down. Must have been something internal..not well made. Near the klystron and above the lightbulb compartment. Main power runs through it. So I put the thing back in operation with wire strippers and a wire nut... and in fact..cooked dinner in it tonight. Works fine.
So I took the old Panasonic that had failed..and Id replaced with the new Kenmore out and opened it up too. Filled with spider webs, the odd fly, roach and lots and lots of crumbs. Probably 12 or more years old. And virtually identical to the Kenmore internally. The only difference was the position of several of the internal sensors and the electronic display for the various cooking programs. Cleaned it out, sprayed the circuits with board cleaner to get the crumbs and roach turds off the board, , let it dry out, fired it back up and it now works just fine as well.
I was rather amazed at the simularity between the Panasonic guts, some 12 or more years old..and the new Kenmore guts. Obviously Sears doesnt make their own nukes and is buying them from Panasonic. Shrug
Gunner
On 2/24/2013 6:37 AM, Gunner wrote:

Microwave ovens are very simple technology, if it works, why screw with the design since the math doesn't change? ^_^
TDD
We finally lost our Microwave tank we bought in 1980 or 81.
We bought a new model - about the same capability - less in some way more others - but this one I could pick up and hold in one hand.
They changed the heavy core transformer - 1 KW is a transformer!
To a switcher supply - aka modern.
When we turned it on, it swamped or killed WiFi in the house. Never tried the cell phone but computers would not be on line...
I now have hard wire to those computers and we can use the microwave anytime.
It is a Panasonic. Works just fine - suspect the osc in the switcher is just there.
Martin

On 2/24/2013 9:58 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

You could try a power line filter, I have small ones I use on telecom equipment but I'm sure you can get a high current filter for appliance use something like what's in the links below. ^_^
http://www.aceex.com.tw/L3PLF.html#spec
http://preview.tinyurl.com/bccvac3
http://preview.tinyurl.com/b47us74
http://preview.tinyurl.com/b8v3kjv
TDD

Some reviews of the Logitech M570 trackball say it helps their CTS: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
I bought one to control 7 Media Center from the arm of a chair and am slowly approaching the precision I acquired with a mouse from 20+ years of CAD work. At first it was very awkward.
My hand is slightly too small for it and slides back unless I position it where the chair back supports my elbow. jsw
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 07:56:43 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

It does take a little while to get used to a trackball, but Ive been using them for at least a decade and they are very good.
Be sure to change the settings in Windows (or whatever OS ) so the ball moves properly for your "touch". Its all changable of course and can be adjusted nicely
Gunner
On 2/24/2013 6:56 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

How long have you had that M570?
Now that I have asked, ;~) I am going to tell you how to fix it when it quits working properly. I am on my 3rd in 2 years, Logitech has replaced 2 units without requesting a return.
My problem has been with the center click button, this center click is a big time saver in Sketchup for orbiting while panning. Anyway I could hear and feel the click but the orbit command would not engage unless I pressed even harder after hearing the click and then some times having to hold down the wheel and wiggle it. The cursor would not go from a pointer arrow to an orbit icon. A real PIA.
After getting the second replacement I decided to open up the one with the problem. Both had the same problem BTW. There are "5" screws on the bottom and inside that have to be removed to open the unit. One screw is obvious just under the ball on the bottom. 3 more screws are under the rubber pads opposite the ball and at the far long ends. The 5th screw is under the battery label at the 1.5v lettering. Poke a hole through the diagram label at that point to find the screw. Then pull the bottom half away from the top half.
Inside you have a small square switch with a round button, flood that switch with electrical cleaner and or any other switches that may be giving you trouble. Thoroughly blow dry the assembly, I used compressed air and reassembled. Works like new again.
Jim Wilkins wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

I have tried several trackballs, and none felt right. They were much harder for me to position the cursor accurately than with a decent mouse. It might be OK for newsgroups & Email with more practice but they were useless for Eagle (Circuit board layout) ot LTSpice (Circuit simulation) Forget doing graphics with GIMP or another graphics package.