Kitchen Lighting Fixture Problem

I had a fluorescent lighting fixture in my kitchen that would only turn on, usually, with many attempt at the lighting switch. I decided finally to replace the fixture, but it won't turn on at all. I have found the "hot" wire in the ceiling box by using a continuity tester with one probe connected to the hot wire and the other to a ground-- the tester glowed. The wall switch does stop and allow the current to flow to the hot wire. Next I attached an incandescent bulb fixture and bulb by attaching one wire of the incandescent fixture to the hot wire in the ceiling box and the other fixture wire to the other (neutral?) wire. The switch will not turn the incandescent bulb on.

My first question is whether there is a test to see whether the non- hot wire in the ceiling (the putative neutral wire) is in good order? Secondarily, if that is the wrong question, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
warren

From what you describe, your switch is wired to the neutral, and the hot leg goes directly to the fixture. It also sounds like you have an open circuit on the neutral. With the switch on you should get a light between the hot and neutral wires at the fixture. Open the switch box, wire the hot leg to the switch and verify your neutral connections, which should just be connected together under a wire nut

Reply to
RBM

Also, change the switch.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I misread your original post. If the switch makes and breaks the hot leg, but a pigtail socket connected to the hot leg and the neutral, doesn't turn on the light, you have an open neutral. Check for a loose neutral connection in the switch box

Reply to
RBM