Kitchen floor

We have a 9 year old house with a kitchen floor covered with vinyl. The floor needs replacement due to wear and some ugly tears. My wife is a clean freak and clean-look is most important. We cook and eat almost daily at home- so the traffic and things dropping to the floor is quite common. What is the popular choice these days for a robust kitchen floor?

Reply to
pantuvarali

A high line vinyl with a urethane wear layer. Armstrong makes a good one, there may be others. This is definitely a case where spending a bit more than run of the mill costs gets you more performance. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Longest lasting is tile or stone. Then there are a number of very expensive " vinyl" floors like Amtico that can cost nearly as much as tile. You need to go to a floor- tile store, not box stores. For a kitchen , get a better floor if you can.

Reply to
m Ransley

The original inquirer said they tend to drop things a lot. Is a tile or stone floor going to stand up to that?

Reply to
Sixeye

"Sixeye" wrote

Probably a whole lot better than vinyl or wood. With tile, the question becomes - how will the things they drop, stand up to the tile?

JSH

Reply to
Julie

Ive seen alot of 50- 150 yr old tile and stone, it is harder than you think and depending on quality will look good longer and may not break. Replacing a piece , knowing of course you have extra, you are very likely not to notice it in even 10 yrs. But it is harder on the feet and colder. You are just as likely over the years to flood or drop something sharp and ruin a composite as crack a tile. Composites age in color so a match over the years will be noticed earlier in the life of the floor. You install a stone or ceramic for life, not 10- 30 years like composits. To really break a tile it has to be something like dropping a heavy pot, not a bowl or knife

Reply to
m Ransley

OK-ok: What is easier to install over the existing vinyl? Another Vinyl or Ceramic tile?

Reply to
pantuvarali

vinyl, ceramic needs a solid base and I wouldn`t trust it over any old floor, some people do and are happy. Its an experiment over an existing vinyl floor.

Reply to
m Ransley