Kitchen faucet leaks from base part II

I had my kitchen cabinetry and sink redone years ago and had a stainless st eel sink put in. The opening where the faucet unit was quite large, they in stalled the one they had for it anyways. So, now whenever the water is turn ed on high it leaks around the base and drips underneath to the plywood cab inet it's mounted on. I have new wood to replace all the damage, but don't want to put it in till the leak is fixed. Some say chalking, some say plumb er's putty? Does anybody have any recommendations? Thank you.
Very limited budget, replacing the faucet unit is not an option right now.
On 03/06/2016 09:49 PM, Carl Lorenz wrote:

Plumber's putty is generally used, but some sinks require a non-water based silicon.
The installed obviously did not do it right, did they even use a rubber washer?
On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 7:56:58 PM UTC-8, philo wrote:

s steel sink put in. The opening where the faucet unit was quite large, the y installed the one they had for it anyways. So, now whenever the water is turned on high it leaks around the base and drips underneath to the plywood cabinet it's mounted on. I have new wood to replace all the damage, but do n't want to put it in till the leak is fixed. Some say chalking, some say p lumber's putty? Does anybody have any recommendations? Thank you.

ow.

Not sure on that answer. Thank you for your input.
On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 19:49:58 -0800 (PST), Carl Lorenz
Before you do anything, you need to determine where the water is leaking.
It's likely by the spout swivel, which means a new O-ring. Or the handle is leaking, or the connection for the sprayer (if you have one).
After you find and fix the leak, some silicone caulk would probably work well. Plumbers putty is what's bormally used, but there should be some sort of gasket under the faucet base too.
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 1:15:27 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions!