Kitchen Faucet

Page 2 of 3
This looks like what I got 12 years ago, still functioning just fine although I did have to put a new seal/washer in the hot water cartridge a coupe of years ago. You can change the whole faucet in 30 minutes including a 15 minute coffee break. Some have only one O ring on the swivel, best to get the ones with two O rings. I don't know what this country is coming to when a person can't change their own faucets or look under the counter and determine why the sprayer hose hangs. About 30 bucks for one like this down at the local "we have everything" store Made with love from China, actually the machined parts were high quality, looked like something going on an airplane instead of the kitchen sink. (Amazon.com product link shortened)97923004&sr=1-88
On 4/18/2014 8:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

Thanks! Looks like what my parents used to have.

Going to assume you mean the USA, but the OP could be from anywhere.
Usually, it's won't, not can't.
I'm going to cast a little blame on our education. I don't remember the class where they explained how plumbing works introduced us to wrenches, the fuse box, a level.
Sure, if you weren't too smart and were taking vocational training you might have gotten some of that.
Had a plumber here once working on a bathroom remodel. While he was here I discovered a clogged drain. He offered to clear it. I told him, "I'll be damned if I pay a plumber to clear a drain". Got a really strange look.
Apparently a lot of people are not familiar with snakes.
When I had the drain cleared in a few minutes, he called his brother (the GC) recounting the story.
--
Dan Espen

writes:

Oooh! Do *not* call them snakes in front of a plumber. I had one totally go off on me. Told me there was no such thing as a snake!
I did manage to clear my slow draining bathtub. Took me the better part of the day and gallons of hot water, vinegar and a lot of baking soda. But usually I am no good at plumbing stuff and if anything, I only make things worse.
On 04/19/2014 03:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

A professional plumber would *never* insult a customer like that.
And not only was he unprofessional, he's wrong as well.
Send the 'drip' this link so he can buy a plumbing snake.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/snake.html

Heh! I actually had one guy tell me that plumbing doesn't have vents. This was a supposed handyman/plumber that I called to unclog the kitchen sink. It was clogged when we bought the house. I told him it was clogged. He made me wait two weeks. I assumed this was normal. Having only ever rented or lived in military housing, I had no idea that I could actually call a plumber and have them come right away. My parents did own their houses but in one case, our next door neighbor was a plumber and my dad often did his own repairs, including putting in faucets and a tub! But he is no longer with us.
Anyway... When the guy finally got here, he said he didn't do clogs! I made the mistake of telling this to another guy who was a general contractor/plumber. Said, "What kind of plumber doesn't do clogs?" He just laughed and said that he didn't do clogs either. But he did create a problem in my shower. He was called in (friend of a friend of my gardener) to fix a leaking pipe from the house to the main line. I'd had it repaired two years prior but the repairs didn't hold. He put in a whole new copper pipe. But... A few months later on Christmas Eve, water began pouring from my shower and wouldn't stop. Long story short, he didn't flush the line out and flux (I think that's what the plumber said) built up and made its way to the shower. Grrr...
On 4/19/2014 1:55 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:

Consider his perspective. Most of his calls are probably people who can't or won't clear their own drains. Wish I had a brother who is a GC.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Me too. Mine is good with computers so I can't complain. But still, I wish we had some home type handy people around.

Really? Wikipedia says:
A plumber's snake, sometimes known as a "toilet jack" or "electric eel", is a flexible auger used to remove clogs in plumbing that cannot be loosened with a plunger.
What did he want you to call it, an auger?

Bathtubs are tough. The water/chemical approach doesn't really get the job done well. A snake can work, but it's not easy. I had a tough bathtub and fooled with chemicals for a long time. Finally I got in the tub, used the entry point where the lever is, and pulled out loads of hair and muck.

As with lots of things, persistence pays off.
--
Dan Espen

writes:

Yep. Auger. He was really angry when I mentioned the snake. I used to sell plumbing and everyone referred to it as a snake!

I did not want to have to remove the overflow thing on the tub. It's a bit oversized, jetted tub. I have a nice little snaking thing that works well in the shower but due to the design of the tub drain, it won't go in there very far.
I think the problem with the tub was lint. I only use it for hand wash now. The design is poor and I was having extreme trouble getting in and out of it. After slipping twice trying to get out, despite having all sorts of rubber mats everywhere and then daughter slipping, we just opted for showers.

Yes. I figured I didn't have much to lose with the clog/slow drain. Wasn't like I was using harsh chemicals or taking anything apart.
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:34:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Dan.Espen) wrote:

Pulling that lever plate and lifting out the stopper usually gives you direct access to the drain pipe. You can try a toilet auger from there to get out the hair clogs and such. Try the plunger on the tub drain with that stopper out to clear it. Put a few inches of water in the tub to get some water to work with.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

Yep.
I had a real hard time getting the snake to make it's way through the trap and then out into the almost horizontal drain pipe. With the sharp turns it took a lot of persuasion. But persistence pays off.

It would be nice if they built tubs so that you could seal the lever plate opening easily. Then plungers would have a better chance. Old galvanized pipe doesn't give up hair balls too easily though.
Glad I eventually had the bathroom remodeled and PVC put in.
--
Dan Espen

(Dan.Espen)

If I were to remodel, I would get rid of this tub and get either a walk in or a small corner tub.
Has anyone looked/googled to see if there are any videos on the web showing kitchen faucet replacement? Seems to me Julie would be better off spendin g $25-$35 for a couple of tools and doing the job herself. She can gop to Lowes or HD or Menards and look at all the faucets and find one she likes. Then, if she decides not to try it herself, she calls the handyman and has him/her install the faucet she has purchased.
Has anyone looked/googled to see if there are any videos on the web showing kitchen faucet replacement? Seems to me Julie would be better off spending $25-$35 for a couple of tools and doing the job herself. She can gop to Lowes or HD or Menards and look at all the faucets and find one she likes. Then, if she decides not to try it herself, she calls the handyman and has him/her install the faucet she has purchased.
--

I don't do well with videos at all. I am not a visual person. I do better
with printed words but, I will not try to install this myself. Mr. Handyman
On 4/18/2014 9:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

The faucet was nearly free. The $250 is the plumber's fee.
Buy the faucet yourself and have someone put it in. As far as brand, Pfister ($100 & up for a decent set) has held up well here.
If you don't want the plumber's charge learn how to 'Do it yourself'.
John

How many times must I say it? The $250 was the price of the faucet. The plumber's fee was around another $250.

If I knew someone to put it in, I would. I don't. Which is why I will have Mr. Handyman do it and I'd just as soon that he buy it as well.

I didn't say that I didn't want the plumber's charge but I have yet to find a good plumber. I have hired three different companies and keep having the same problems again and again.
Have you tried "Angie's List"? My wife paid for a year and used it to screen for a bunch or various things, for herself and a couple of friends.
On 4/24/2014 10:28 AM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

That may be the best bet. The bigger the Yellow Pages ad, the worse the service. Best to find a small local guy, not a franchise and stick with him.
Another way is to go to the local wholesale plumbing supply and ask for a couple of names.
Lowes and Home Depot also offer installation services
Still another is to buy from www.faucetdirect.com and they have a network of installers. I've bought from them but have never used their installation services so I have no idea how well it works.

Very dissatisfied with Lowes installation. Will not use them again. So far, Mr. Handyman has not done me wrong. It's just that they're not the best to call for one little task. Better to have a list of several little things.