Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, but not water?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 00:45:58 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

Ooooowwwweh.
On 1/8/2011 7:45 PM, ShadowTek wrote:

Splash guard (or whatever they are called) on the drain to the disposal? We had them, old and rotting.
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 21:46:19 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

I thought about that, but how could they get through the disposal to the pipe? And still be triangular?

In my case, the sink didn't have a disposal, and the built in metal strainers wouldn't allow anything that large through anyway.

Why COLD water?
I know that oil and water don't mix, but wouldn't there be at least more *partial* mixing with HOT water?
If the oil/grease doesn't mix at all, it seems to me that it'd be more likely to stick to the walls of the pipe. True, or not true?
Thanks
David
David Combs wrote:

In cold water, food grease tends to solidify in little lumps and is more likely to flush through without sticking to the walls of the pipe. In hot water, food grease can liquify and leave a thin film on the inside of the pipe that remains after the water finishes draining. The grease film builds up in layers until blockage occurs.
Using cold water just helps get the grease past good pipes in your house. It will still accumulate in low spots, especially when it gets to the city pipes in the street where the water speed is slower.
Periodic flushing with large amounts of boiling water can melt grease layers, but it only works well if you do it regularly before large deposits accumulate.
Here's a link to Al Carrell's homemade drain cleaners for preventive maintenance (not for opening a clog): http://www.thesuperhandyman.com/tips.html#anchor1463
--
Steve B
New Life Home Improvement

I don't know if this is related to your problem, or not, but every fixture in your house has a vent to the roof. They combine the fixtures in one bathroom, and for this reason and others try to put the various sinks, toilets, showers on top of each other, so that most houses only need one or two such vents. That's why you have those two little pipes coming out of your roof. They are not chimneys for the mice's fireplace, like so many people think.

I see in a later post that you pour the water in when the pipe is disconnected and there is no trap between the pipe and where you put the water in. I guess that should duplicate the purpose of the vent and it's not the vent.

I've never been in this situation, but my ugess is you need to attach something bigger to the snake, like a sponge, or something that will fill the pipe and not just push a hole through which gets filled up again as the snake passes through.
I don't know anything about pequa.
Oh, yeah, ventilation. Somehow snake the pipe to the roof. Or from the roof??
They used to sell a garden hose attachment that swelled up as a ball and was supposed to fit tightly in a pige. I don't know if you need that or not.
I don't know what happens if you attach a sponge and then the sponge comes off!!! In the middle of some pipe. LIke I say, I've never done this.
Perhaps there is cooking grease gumming up the pipe. This would allow snake to go through but retain water. Maybe hot water would flush it open?

I still see that stuff in hardware stores. You may also need to buy an adapter to connect garden hose to the kitchen faucet.
If this still doesn't work, you could call a plumber with a drain pipe camera, or use a pressure washer with a jetter hose.

http://dezndt9i6z9ef.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/6/small_image/135x135/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/i/m/image_13513.jpg

http://dezndt9i6z9ef.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/6/small_image/135x135/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/i/m/image_13513.jpg
+++++++++
And, that is a photo of .....?

Good question!

http://dezndt9i6z9ef.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/6/small_image/135x135/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/i/m/image_13513.jpg
That is a picture of a spade blade used on the leading edge of a snake. Far more effective that the corkscrew type.
--
Colbyt
Pete wrote:

Hi, Order of trouble-shooting is from top to bottom. Checked vening yet?
On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 21:05:10 -0800, Smitty Two

ARe you saying I can't do all my repairs by myself? You might be right so I guess in the OP's shoes I woudl plug the basement sink and see how much is there when I got there.