Kitchen Countertop ReDo

The county where I live changed the water last year and everybody has calcium/lime deposits all over the place. I have Wilsonart laminate kitchen countertops....installed in 2003. The place behind the faucets was really bad looking with the white spots and I scrubbed too hard. Took the design off the Wilsonart. (They don't make it like they used to). I am looking around for new material for countertop...because I may put the house on the market next year. I saw ads for various things -- but what really caught my eye was "reglazing". It's done with paint ... and the pictures look exactly like granite. Anyone familiar with this? How well does it last? They also reglaze bath tubs. I had one of mine reglazed once and it lasted several years, looked alright... but I finally replaced the tub and got new tile in there. I am not sure its the same process ... but if any of you are familiar with it would like to know what you think. Questions I should ask, etc. Thanks. (And I am assuming it would be less expensive than replacing the entire thing I have now).

I tried the mild acid vinegar -- it doesn't do anything. The magic erasers do the best job on other surfaces but getting the spots off the counter top wasn't possible.

has OP considered a water treatment to prevent reoccurence?

This is a county wide problem. I have a water softener (whole house) and it hasn't changed anything. Still have water spots.
Dottie wrote:

Then your water softener is under sized.
--

dadiOH

I don't have any experience with reglazing countertops and don't know anyone who has done it. But a few things come to mind. Since the existing one is laminate, it should not be all that expensive to replace it and it's obviously the safer choice. I'd be very leary of a process that uses paint on countertops. Then again the place is going to be sold, so it also depends on what shape the rest of the kitchen is in, etc.
One thing for sure, I'd get references and go see a job they did.

Just get it done in granite, and enjoy it every time you look at it. And every time you hear someone else whining about theirs. Granite rocks!
Steve