Kitchen countertop extending into garden window?

We are doing a kitchen remodel and have chosen to go with Silestone countertop. We told our contractor about our plans and he installed an Ideal garden window at the same base level as the cabinetry. It has windows with cranks on both sides. We thought we could 'open up' our small kitchen with a nice view of the yard.

This is a good picture of what we are looking to achieve (bottom pic):

Well, the Silestone guys showed up to make the template and said that the window crank base plates were in the way and the counter cannot be installed into the new windowsill. There was only a half inch clearance under the base plate, and the counter is one and a quarter inches thick. They recommended that we get the window base plates and cranks changed so the counter could be flush with the window edges.

I called Ideal and they cannot make or change a window to fit the countertop. So I am looking a new solution. Has anyone installed this type of counter/window successfully?

I see these options:

  1. Move the existing window up a few inches above the new countertop and forget about the flush counter design.

  1. Buy a new window (maybe from jtwindows) and try to get some kind of refund for the Ideal one that doesn't work. btw - we already paid the contractor, so this may not happen :-(

  2. Give up on the Silestone, try to get a refund from home depot, and have the contractor install a laminate countertop. He may have to move the window up an inch or so also, but I assume he would not charge for that since he knew that was our original plan.

Any other suggestions? My wife and I are disheartened about the whole mess. It took so long to get all the other work done, and we thought the counter was the last piece.

Has anyone done this remodel? What window company did you use?

Reply to
paulaner

While it may sound and look like a great idea, consider the difficulty you will have retrieving items that roll or get pushed into that area. Also consider splashes and other liquid/solid spills that will have to be cleaned out of that area.

Having it level with the top of the backsplash, or the backsplash + the window molding may be a better idea from a maintenance standpoint.

------snip------snip------snip--------

Reply to
DaveW

That's what I'd do.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

VERY good idea!

rosie (who ends up cleaning all the damn nooks and crannys in this dump!

Reply to
rosie readandpost

We had a similar setup in our last house. The window was the frequent target of splashes, drips, etc, and it always looked bad unless the whole window was cleaned daily. We swore we would never do it that way again.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

Might it be simpler to lower that section of cabinet/counter an inch or three rather than raise the window?

Reply to
rschng