Kitchen Cork Floor Question

Normally when one puts down a floor it goes first, and then the kitchen cabinets go on top. But with a cork floor I can see the cabinets sinking in. But if you install the floor afterwards, you are effectively lowering your counter height by the thickness of the floor. So does one raise the counters somehow?
Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
the floor should go down first
| Normally when one puts down a floor it goes first, and then the kitchen | cabinets go on top. But with a cork floor I can see the cabinets sinking | in. But if you install the floor afterwards, you are effectively lowering | your counter height by the thickness of the floor. So does one raise the | counters somehow? | | Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Don, we are currently installing a floating cork floor. Since you will have to level the cabinets anyway, we have shimmed the cabinets up to the height of the cork (7/16" inch). It was very easy to do (well my Dad did it, so I found it extremely easy :-) Since the cabinets are now the height of the cork we can slide the cork under the front of the toe kick and it meets exactly. At the sides we will run the cork up to the sides leaving the recommended gap and cover the gap with a moulding.
Don Wiss wrote:

In my house, slightly lower than normal counter height would make work more comfortable. However, Dishwashers and refrigerators might be problems. I'd suggest adding a sheet of something like marine plywood below counters.
TB