Kitchen cabinet side fillers?

I've got a set of kitchen cabinets that I want to move to a new location. Would it be hard to find the filler, side panels to fit the new area which is about 8" wider then the old location. I don't think they are custom cabinets, they are basic oak upper cabinets. They currently have a 4" filler side panel on each side and I need to find one about 8" on each side. I know, 16" I could have another cabinet but it wouldn't match the current setup. Is that filler panel something sold at a big box stores or a custom job?

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe J

If these are the standard red oak you can match fairly well using the oak boards they sell at HD/Lowes places. I found my Kemper cabinets seemed to be red oak with MinWax cherry stain, at least that was what I got the closest match with (after several trial and error sessions with different stains). Then you paint a coat or two of clear poly urethane on it and you are good to go. I couldn't really stand to lose the space so I made a couple pull out shelves in one void and this in the other

gfretwell

Take a door off, drive around to the local kitchen cabinet dealers, and ask if they have filler panels in that shade (including the age patina that no cleaning completely removes.) You may get lucky, and it is worth paying a few bucks extra to avoid screwing around with trial-and-error field finishing.

Reply to
aemeijers

Exactly - It is so simple the OP should have thought of it.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I did try to eliminate the trial and error for him. We have a lot of red oak in this house from 3 manufacturers and minwax cherry over red oak is a good match for all of them.

If he can actually get a cabinet company to sell him material out the back door that is great but they were not too helpful when I talked to them here. I suppose YMMV

Reply to
gfretwell

I've never known a big-box or boutique dealer that wouldn't sell filler material. They may not want to order a small quantity (like less than a full sheet of whatever size it comes), but if OP is willing to pay for a full sheet, or the dealer has some scraps, it is free money for them. Not like OP was in the market for new cabinets, and little deals like this help to build good word-of-mouth to other buyers.

Maybe I was always just lucky.

Reply to
aemeijers

nd

Or at least not piss off potential future customers. If it's a scrap they might even give it away for the return goodwill.

Reply to
keith