Kitchen cabinet question

The bottom panel of my kitchen cabinet under the sink has some warpage from an old water leak. What's the best way to replace this bottom panel?

HD guy says just nail or glue a veneer on top...

Reply to
adam3kapp

We don't know the type of material.

Might be a cover-up :(

-- Oren

Oren

That is usually the most practical solution- cut a drop-in panel or panels out of something durable, and lay it in there. Usually no way to change out the existing panel in place. If the warpage is minor, a piece of industrial flooring of some kind may work. Note that it will usually take at lease two pieces, due to the center rail on the front frame. A roll of duct tape, some squares of cardboard, and a sharp pair of heavy scissors or a box knife are the way to start. Piece together a full size pattern in cardboard, to exactly fit all the weird corners and drilled holes. Pull it back out and reassemble using the lines you drew over the seams as a key, lay it on your patch material, and cut to match. Tedious, but not rocket surgery.

I keep all under-sink liquids and cleaners in tall plastic pans for just this reason. If they leak, no big deal. They won't protect against supply lines leaking, but one tray is under each trap, so if those leak, I have some protection as well. (Although this cabinet is far from a virgin on leaks.)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It's stained oak(?) far as I can tell. There is no peeling, just ugly discoloration and warpage toward the back.

Reply to
adam3kapp

I had the problem of the sink leaking down below and ruined the bottom of the cabinet. My cabinet bottom was made of particle board (imagine that) so, It was pretty easy to remove it. It does form the bottom of the cabinet. But if you are somewhat careful you can knockout most of it and put in new. I went to HD and got a piece of formica topped particle board and cut it to size. Be sure to cut it to two pieces to fit in the bottom underneath the sink. Also, I didnt nail it in place. Left it loose so that if it happened again or if I needed to get in below it it would be easier next time.

Reply to
coffee

OP?

If you just put some veneer over it then its just going to rot out below the veneer if its moist or wet. That will probably not smell too good. Im assuming that you said the flooring of the cabinet is solid oak? Take a skill or jig saw and cut it out. Do the best you can to remove it and replace with what I mentioned above. Make sure to build a support under the new flooring of the cabinet or use the remaining old flooring as a lip to rest the new flooring of the cabinet on. Dont fasten it down. That way you can remove it in the future if you do have a problem. A formica topped piece of wood will help resist spills underneath in the future.

Reply to
coffee