Kitchen appliances

Page 2 of 2

Bad reasoning. This can happen with any brand. Glasses rarely break if loaded properly. I can recall only one in all our years of DW use, about 30 years or more. KA makes a damned good machine. My last one was just replaces after over 15 years of service.
I have not had good luck with my Maytag Model MSD2957AE side by side refrigerator. It was purchased in 1999 for $1850, was replaced by the retailer within a couple weeks, and the replacement had the same bugs as the original - leaks water on floor, does not cool evenly, ice dispensor and water fountain failures. Many parts have unglued themselves such a drawer pulls and drawer supports, outer doors will not stay shut. I ended up using digital thermometers in the freezer and the refrigerator as we have lost food several times and Maytag says they did not design it, they only put their name on it.
When I asked for a new one of a different model due to many of the same repeat problems, Maytag said they are fixing the bugs as they come up in the field and encouraged me to continue to renew my service contract.
Next time, I will probably buy from Costco. Its been my experience that Costco stands behind their items unlike Maytag.

Suggest you take a subscription to Consumers Reports online site for a month or two. They buy and test what they rate, and they do an annual questionnaire to get information on reliability. For me, most importantly they give a good general explanation in a very clear and concise manner, talking about the different features available, listing the pros and cons of each.
I don't always wind up buying what they recommend, but I always feel more comfortable about the decision after I've spent some time reading their comments.
I think it's $6 a month. Well worth it. www.consumerreports.org
--
"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

regards,

Many years ago they were OK. They seem much more biased in their reporting and their findings have often been directly opposite my own experience. They downgrade appliances and automobiles for things that I find to be a plus. Read their information with an open mind and do other research also. While they do have some good information, their priorities may not match yours at all.
wrote in message

We all have our own agendas and value sets, so it's nearly impossible for many of us to accept another's opinion on -anything- at face value. And let me say that I'm not here to defend CR, they are well able to do that themselves.
Having said that, I cannot be an expert on everything. Even if I was, I could never hope to have the resources available to me that CR has. Nor can the sum total of all the people that read and post on this group be expected to be experts on all appliances, only those with which they have had contact, and even then, to a limited degree. They don't test them, they fix them. Don't get me wrong, there IS a wealth of good information available on here though.
Also, it's hard to believe publications that accept free samples for testing and then sell advertising space back to the same companies are completely unbiased or anywhere near it.
As I mentioned in my original post, the thing I value the most from CR is their descriptions of the overall current market offer in terms of features and their usefulness for a specific commodity. As often as not, I don't buy their "best buy" items, rebel that I am :)
So, I'm quite willing to look to a better independent source for product reviews, if anyone knows of one. Who IS CR's competition, anyway?
Alexander Galkin Wrote:

I have been a distributor of Baumatic appliances for 7 years and whil they used to have a problem with service call outs this was resolve about three years ago. I always recommend Baumatic to friends an family as they are very good on price due the internet retailers.
See the range at www.baumatic.co.uk - they do ranges too - some ver nice ones the Americana range - Worth getting a price online at th appliance supplier web sites
-- hoopla